Pin Your Perfect Library Pinterest Contest
All Library locations will close at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 18 for a staff development event.
What would you put in your perfect library? April 8 – 14, 2012, is National Library Week, and to celebrate, the Kansas City Public Library is holding a Pin Your Perfect Library Pinterest Contest.
What is Pinterest?
It’s a social network that lets you collect your favorite photos, videos, and links and post them to visual “pinboards.” These boards form collages of your favorite areas of interest, whether it’s arts and crafts, fashion, food, books, travel destinations, or other odds & ends from around the web.
Pin Your Perfect Library Contest: April 9-15, 2012
If you were to build your perfect library, what would it look like? What books would you stock on the shelves? What kinds of furniture would you set out for patrons to lounge in as they read?
Starting Monday, April 9, through midnight on Sunday, April 15, 2012, we want you to build your perfect library on Pinterest.
Prize: By the end of the week, the user with the best board will win a custom prize package of new books hand-picked by Readers’ Services expert Kaite Mediatore Stover. The winner will be chosen based on number of repins, number of likes, and overall originality and style.
Here’s how to enter:
1. Follow the Kansas City Public Library on Pinterest.
2. Create a board called “The Perfect Library” and categorize it under Film, Music & Books. Give it a description that includes the Kansas City Public Library’s Pinterest username, @kclibrary. Example: “Here’s my board for @kclibrary’s Pin Your Perfect Library contest.”
3. Pin items that you would put in your perfect library. Check out our librarians' Perfect Library board for inspiration. Be creative, and include descriptions with your pins to explain why you chose them.
You may want to include (but are not limited to):
- Covers of your favorite books to fill the shelves
- Nifty bookshelves & other furniture
- Famous authors you’d like to have read stories
- Decoration ideas
- Craft projects for your patrons & their kids
- Food & drinks you’d like to serve
- Games you’d like to play
- Interior/exterior design ideas – what would the building look like?
- People you’d like to work as librarians
- Animals to roam the stacks
4. E-mail a link to your board to email@example.com (subject: “Pinterest contest”). Our Pinterest-loving librarians will keep an eye on your pins all week and declare a winner on Monday, April 16, 2012.
Disclaimer: Before you partake in the contest, be sure that you read and are in compliance with the Pinterest Terms of Service and the Acceptable Use Policy. Don’t pin material that you think might be copyrighted, and be sure to credit the sources of all the content you find.
About the Author
Jason Harper is the web content developer and social media manager at the Kansas City Public Library.