The Country Club Plaza in December is synonymous with holiday lights and shopping, as illustrated in these historical photos from our Missouri Valley Special Collections.
Looking west along Nichols Road from Broadway, 1950s.
Country Club Plaza postcard, 1940s.
Santa Claus statue near Ward Parkway and Central Street, 1932.
Sears, Roebuck and Co., located on the north side of Nichols Road between Pennsylvania and Jefferson, 1950.
Snow-covered Christmas tree on the southeast corner of 47th and Wyandotte streets, 1950.
Evening view of Country Club Plaza and Christmas lighting, believed to be looking east near 47th Street, 1950s.
How it all began:
On December 25, 1925, a string of Christmas lights hung over the doorway of the Mill Creek Building at the Country Club Plaza for the first time, beginning this tradition that today is one of the most extravagant Christmas light displays in the nation. Read about the beginnings of the Plaza Lights over at KCHISTORY.ORG.