Newspapers and magazines
Conditions can change fast in the business and economic world so it is important to stay as current as possible on events that can have impact on your company. Regularly reading newspapers and magazines provides an excellent approach to keeping your finger on the pulse of commerce.
The H&R Block Business and Career Center receives the paper version of several key business newspapers.
- Kansas City Business Journal -- published weekly; good for local news
- Kansas City Star -- published daily; covers business, economic, political and social news for the city.
- Wall Street Journal -- published Monday-Friday; national and international business, economic and investor news
- Investor’s Business Daily -- published Monday-Friday; stock market, business and economic news of interest to investors.
For historical research or to track down an article that you remember reading you can use:
- Kansas City Business Journal for archival access.
- Kansas City Star on Newsbank (1991-Present), Library card required from home
- Proquest newspaper database for the Wall Street Journal (1984-Present), Library card required from home
To read newspapers from around the world, turn to the Block Newspaper Nook in the Center. Here you can electronically read over 900 international newspapers. Key titles include:
- Chicago Tribune
- Dallas Morning News
- El Universal
- Far Eastern Economic Review
- Houston Chronicle
- La Opinion
- Los Angeles Times
- San Francisco Chronicle
- South China Morning Post
- Detroit News
- Globe and Mail
- The Guardian
- Sunday Telegraph
- Washington Post
- Washington Times Daily
- Toronto Star
- USA Today
Magazines are another excellent source of current news as they are frequently published and often target specific interests or industries. You can read the paper version of major business magazines in the Center. The titles include:
- Advertising Age
- Black Enterprise
- Business Horizons
- Business 2.0
- Business Week
- Fast Company
- Harvard Business Review
- HR Magazine
- Industry Week
Trade magazines can be one of your best sources for information. These are magazines that are published for people interested in a specific industry. Because these magazines have limited audiences, they can be difficult and/or expensive to come by. A couple of the Center’s databases provide researchers the ability to search online and read articles from trade publications.
- Business Source Premier Library card required from home
- Business Insights Library card required from home
As well as keeping up with changes in the business arena and the economy, investors seek advice as to which stocks should be bought and sold. The Center is a place to come to read a variety of investor newsletters including:
- Dick Davis Digest
- Granville Market Letter
- Hulbert Financial
- Kiplinger Letter
For additional information, contact an H&R Block Business & Career Center librarian by phone, 816.701.3717, or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.