Doors open: 8 pm • Program: 8:45 pm
Sad-sack Seymour (Rick Moranis) works at Mushnik’s, a Skid Row flower shop, crooning and crushing on his coworker Audrey (Ellen Greene), girlfriend to a dastardly dentist (Steve Martin). While shopping during a solar eclipse, Seymour picks up a mysterious plant. He names it “Audrey II,” and soon discovers it has a... unique appetite. As the greenery -- and business at the flower shop -- grows, the hungry plant begins singing for a more substantial supper.
This year the Library’s FREE Off-the Wall rooftop summer film series includes an eccentric playlist of comedies with song-centric storylines. Music-filled movies feature prep-school rockers, gangsta rappers, collegiate a cappella competitors, a young couple scouring the city for an elusive band, and a golden-throated carnivorous plant.
MAY 18: School of Rock (2003, 1 h 49 m, PG-13)
JUNE 15: CB4 (1993, 1 h 29 m, R)
JULY 20: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008, 1 h 30 m, PG-13)
AUGUST 17: Little Shop of Horrors (1986, 1 h 43 m, PG-13)
SEPTEMBER 21: Pitch Perfect (2012, 1 h 52 m, PG-13)
Some tips and notes about how best to enjoy an evening of downtown KC skyline cinema on the Central Library's Rooftop Terrace:
- Bring your own blankets and folding chairs for seating.
- Enjoy complimentary popcorn provided by the Friends of the Library. Sample some locally brewed ales and lagers courtesy of KC Bier Co.
- You may bring outside food and non-alcoholic beverages (no glass containers, please!)
- Doors open at 8 p.m. (Note: The Central Library closes at 5 p.m. on Fridays, but the doors reopen at 8 p.m. for Off-the-Wall audiences.)
All movies begin at dusk (approximately 8:45 p.m.) In case of bad weather, screenings are moved indoors.
- Complimentary parking is available in the Library District parking garage at 10th and Baltimore. Bring your parking ticket for validation.
- Transit options: take KC Streetcar to the Library stop at 9th / Main or Ride KC buses to 10th / Main transit plaza.
Co-presented by the Young Friends of the Library.
Friday, August 17, 2018
This month we're celebrating adventure, from electrifying expeditions to science fiction favorites and everything in between. Join us at 1 PM on Wednesdays in the Vault to experience action-packed movies sure to have you at the edge of your seat.
Lucy (2014; R)
An attempt at easy money goes awry when Lucy is forced to act as a drug mule for a mysterious and potent new drug. When the drug ends up in her stomach, she discovers it unlocks physical and mental abilities beyond her wildest dreams.
Wednesday, August 22, 2018
1:00 pm to 3:00 pm