Interlibrary loan for Libraries
All Library locations will be closed on Sunday, April 20, in observance of the Easter holiday.
Registered users may log in.
Interlibrary Loan Lending Policy
- Please check our catalog before requesting material. We cannot loan (or place a request for) material currently checked out.
- Our loan period is four weeks upon receipt of the material.
- Rush requests and requests for multiple copies of a request are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Renewals may be possible, contact the Library by OCLC, email or phone.
- There is no lending charge for the loan of material.
- We do have a limit of six reels for microfilm loans.
- We request that loaned microfilm be returned by UPS or FedEx
Items that cannot be loaned are:
- Reference material
- Most microfilm/microfiche. We will lend our local paper, the Kansas City Star, for those years that we have a duplicate film of.
- Electronic Items
- Special Collections
First Time User Registration for Interlibrary Loan
We are happy to lend many of our materials to you and your patrons. Currently we do not lend the following materials through ILL: DVDs, non-circulating materials, journals and items in the Missouri Valley Collection.
We ask that libraries not using OCLC, create an ILL account with us. By entering your institution’s information, you will help us expedite your request. You will be asked for your Library’s name, contact information and shipping address. Creating an account will allow you to check on the status of your request and to request renewals at any time.
If you are a frequent borrower from Kansas City Public Library, you may wish to bookmark the login page.
Registration has three purposes:
1) Entering your personal information into the ILLiad system means you will not have to supply the information again when making future requests.
2) Having your e-mail and regular mail addresses on file with Interlibrary Loan enables us to notify you promptly and deliver materials accurately when your request arrives in the library.
3) By specifying a Username and Password of your choosing, you will have secure access to information about your requests. You will also be able to review the list of items you have requested in the past.
About your Username and Password
During registration, you will be asked to choose a Username and Password. You will use this Username and Password when logging on to the ILLiad system in the future.
Choose anything you like, such as your name, abbreviations, or an alphanumeric code.
Choose anything you like. We recommend that you follow good security practice and choose a password that is different from those you use to access other systems.
ILLiad will encrypt your password, so it will remain secure. Only you will know your password.
Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.