Using the Missouri Valley Room
All Library locations will close at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, December 24 and remain closed on Thursday, December 25 in observance of the Christmas holiday.
Easily accessible in the Missouri Valley Room (MVR) is a browsing collection of basic books that offer an introduction to Kansas City history, as well as:
- Civil War Official Records (east wall)
- Genealogy related materials including “how-to” guides, state-specific death, marriage, birth, land, etc. lists (outer sides of shelves)
- Periodicals, arranged alphabetically (inside area of shelves)
- Index to our unique newspaper clippings file (north wall)
- Maps (large cases in the back of the room)
A restricted, climate-controlled area houses the majority of the resources. Materials in this area include:
- Books on Kansas City history, fur trade, Indians, religious groups, explorers, and more
specific family histories
- School newspapers and yearbooks
- County histories
- More maps
- Other periodicals
- Vertical files
- Archival collections
To locate these resources, use the online catalog, then request the item from a librarian by filling out a call slip. You will need to leave a Kansas City Public Library card or official I.D. with staff while using the material.
- No materials may leave the Missouri Valley Room.
- Due to the nature of the material, only pencils may be used while in the Missouri Valley Room.
- Missouri Valley Room is a WiFi hotspot, or tables are equipped for laptops and/or scanners.
- No food or beverages allowed in the room.
The room also has the following items.
- microfilm and readers
- two public computers
- photocopy machine
Photocopies and materials printed from computers are ten cents a page.
A small meeting room can be used for watching non-circulating videos/DVDs or listening to CDs or oral history tapes.
You may park for one hour at no charge in the Library parking garage (entrance on Baltimore) with a validated ticket; after the first hour, it costs $1 for each additional 20 minutes not to exceed the daily maximum of $8. Weekends are free by exchanging the ticket for a parking garage coupon at the Information or Circulation Desk in Kirk Hall.