(Kansas City, Missouri) - The Library features three popular Kansas City-area children's acts as part of Friday Night Family Fun at the Plaza Branch, 4801 Main St., this month.
The 6:30 p.m. performances are suitable for all ages.
Young audiences can join Brandon Draper's Drum Safari, taking their own turns on percussion instruments as they encounter an array of African animals whose names are set to rhythm, on Friday, June 5, 2015. Draper, who holds a bachelor's degree in percussion from Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kansas, and a master's in music from the University of New Mexico, is a member of the music faculty at the University of Kansas, percussion director at Shawnee Mission West High School, and music director at Kansas City Academy.
• Jay Cady and Leslie Seifert-Cady - known simply as Jay & Leslie - celebrate Hapless Heroes and Their Funny Feats on Friday, June 12. The Mission, Kansas, duo utilizes juggling, a touch of magic, and the adventures of library hero Dewey Decimal as they explore feats of skill, daring, and just plain, dumb luck, demonstrating that some people are born to be heroic and others just bumble into it.
• Kansas City's globally known Paul Mesner Puppets presents its own take on the classic Rapunzel on Friday, June 26, making it a veggie-centric love story about two avid gardeners, Okra and Romaine, and their beautiful daughter Rapunzel. The tale also features an evil witch, a foreboding tower, and a handsome prince.
All three acts have scheduled other Library performances during the month as part of the 2015 Summer Reading Program.
• Tuesday, June 2 | at 10:30 a.m.: Jay & Leslie at the I.H. Ruiz Branch, 2017 W. Pennway.
• Tuesday, June 9 | 10 a.m.: Brandon Draper's Drum Safari at the Southeast Branch, 6242 Swope Pkwy.
• Tuesday, June 23 | 10 a.m.: Paul Mesner Puppets at the Southeast Branch, 6242 Swope Pkwy.
• Wednesday, June 24 | 10 a.m.: Paul Mesner Puppets at the Trails West Branch, 11401 E. 23rd St., Independence.
• Thursday, June 25 | 10 a.m.: Paul Mesner Puppets at the Westport Branch, 118 Westport Rd..
• Thursday, June 25 | 2 p.m.: Paul Mesner Puppets at the Waldo Branch, 201 E. 75th St..
• Friday, June 26 | 10:30 a.m.: Paul Mesner Puppets at the North-East Branch, 6000 Wilson Rd.
Admission is free. RSVP at kclibrary.org or call 816.701.3407.