All businesses need to adhere to the laws and regulations that apply to their situation. The Kansas City Public Library has resources that can get you started on your legal research; however you might need to consult a licensed attorney for additional information. Because each business is unique, this guide will not be able to address all of the needs or questions that you might have. This guide is intended to introduce you to the key sources of reading statutes and regulations.
Laws are written on both the state and federal level.
The Missouri General Assembly, consisting of the House of Representatives and the Senate, is the body that enacts Missouri laws. These laws, called the Missouri Revised Statutes, are available both in print and online.
- The Statutes can be viewed online. On this site the statutes are searchable by keyword or statute number.
- The print versions of the Revised Statutes of the State of Missouri are also available in the Reference Department of Central Library (call number REF 345 MO1).
The federal statutes are also available in print and online.
- The online version of the United States Code allows you to search laws back to 1994 by keyword, law number or statute number.
- The print version of the United States Code is also available in the Reference Department of Central Library (call number REF 345 U584).
Regulations are the rules that are established in order to carry out the intent of legislation. As with the statutes, there are both state and federal regulations.
- Missouri's online Code of State Regulations is on the Missouri Secretary of State’s website.
- The print version of the Missouri Code of State Regulations is also available in the Reference Department of Central Library (call number REF 348.778 S797).
- The online Code of Federal Regulations can be searched by keyword or title number.
- The print version of the Code of Federal Regulations is also available in the Reference Department of Central Library (call number REF 348.73 C669).
For additional information, contact an H&R Block Business & Career Center librarian by phone, 816.701.3717, or by e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.