How to Check Out E-books from OverDrive
All Library locations will be closed on Sunday, April 20, in observance of the Easter holiday.
Checking out and reading e-books is easier than ever! We now offer both one-click checkout and in-browser reading through our OverDrive Library!
For more help, please visit OverDrive's Help section.
Lending & Availability
E-books checked out from the Library are readable for 21 days. You can check out up to 20 titles (e-books or digital audio books) at a time and place holds on up to 10 titles simultaneously. When an item expires, it will be automatically returned and will no longer be viewable on your computer or e-reader. (You may need to manually delete the e-book from your computer or device after it has expired.)
As is the case with physical books, libraries own a limited number of copies of any given e-book. If all copies of the e-book you’re searching for have been checked out, the record will still display, and you can place a hold on it.
Due to legal issues, you MAY NOT download e-books using a Library public computer.
How to find a title
There are several options for searching our collection. You can:
- Use the Search box to look for a specific title, author, or keyword.
- Click on Advanced Search to access more detailed search options.
- Select a title from one of the displayed lists.
- Click through on any of the Menu items.
During your search, you can use the facet lists on the left to narrow your results.
If a title is unavailable, the format icon in the top-right corner of the cover image will be grayed out.
How to Check Out and Read an E-book In-Browser
You now have the option to read e-books on any internet-connected device with a web browser, without the need to download or install any software, and without the need to synch your devices. OverDrive Read allows you to login to your account and read your book across multiple devices - it even remembers your place.
Note: If you use Internet Explorer, you may need to install the Google Chrome Frame plugin for the best reading experience. OverDrive Read is compatible with most current web browsers and mobile devices (running iOS v5+ and Android v2.3+).
Once you find the e-book you wish to check out:
- Click Borrow (you will be prompted to sign in with your Library card # and PIN, if you haven't logged in already). This action will take you to your Bookshelf where you can specify how you want to access the title: Download or Read.
- To read a title in-browser, click the Read icon next to the title you wish to read. (Not all titles are available for in-browser reading.)
The e-book will open in your browser. You can use the reader's built-in bookmarks to keep your place and pick up where you left off, even from a different device. You can access the table of contents and skip to different parts of the book, even search the book and adjust the readability settings.
You can mark the book as a favorite using your browser's bookmarking capability and click right back to it whenever you want.
Once a book is checked out, to return to it:
- Log into the OverDrive Library with your Library card # and PIN.
- Click on the Account icon in the menu. You'll be taken to your Bookshelf.
- Click the Read button on the book to continue reading it.
To read a title in-browser on your mobile device you must access our OverDrive library through your mobile web browser. In-browser reading is not an option through the OverDrive app.
In-browser reading allows you to read in "offline" mode even when you don't have a connection to the internet. You may be prompted by your browser to grant permissions to store offline data.
When you're logged in with your Library Card & PIN, you can access your Account at any time by clicking the icon in the main navigation bar:
Your Account presents you with your own Bookshelf, where you can see all the title you have checked out and pick up your in-browser reading where you left off.
Our OverDrive interface also lets you:
- View your Holds and check-out limits.
- Create personalized lists.
- Add books to your Wish List by clicking on the ribbon below the title.
- Rate & recommend books.
How to Check Out an E-book for Standard E-readers
In order to read the Library's e-books on an e-reader, you must download and install the OverDrive Media Console app on your device or computer.
Titles can only be checked out to one device at a time.
If you do not have the OverDrive Media Console installed on your device, you may receive an error proclaiming an "invalid URL" when you attempt to download your title.
- Download and install the free OverDrive Media Console app on your computer or mobile device.
- Create a free Adobe ID and authorize the app. If you already have an Adobe ID, use it to authorize the app.
- When you find a title you wish to check-out from the Library's OverDrive catalog, click the appropriate download button.
- The title will appear in the app on your device.
- All titles will return automatically at the end of the check-out period. To return a book early, click "Return item".
How to Check Out an E-book for Kindle
- Visit our OverDrive e-books collection at kclibrary.lib.overdrive.com.
- Browse or search for an e-book.
- Click the “Get for Kindle” button. This opens the Amazon.com website. You may be required to sign in with your Amazon.com account if you are not already logged on. (Sign up for a free account.)
- Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app. Click the “Get library book” button and sync your device or app to download the book, or choose to send it directly to your Kindle via USB.
- Though some books can only be sent via USB, many e-books can be sent wirelessly to a Wi-Fi-enabled Kindle.
- To return a Kindle e-book early, log in to your Amazon account, go to the "Manage My Kindle" page, and choose action "Return this book."