Classic Mexican Films Honoring Centennial of Mexican Revolution Screened at Kansas City Public Library
All Library locations will be closed on Monday, February 15 in observance of Presidents' Day.
October 28, 2010
The Kansas City Public Library commemorates the centennial of the Mexican Revolution with a series of cinematic perspectives on its major personalities and events called Viva La Revolución: The Motion Pictures on Mondays at 6:30 p.m. throughout November 2010 in the Stanley H. Durwood Film Vault at the Central Library, 14 W. 10th St.
All films are in Spanish with English subtitles. The selected films are on loan from the Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The film line-up includes:
El Compadre Mendoza (1933) on November 1. Mendoza is a landlord who survives by doing favors for both the government and Zapata forces. However, he is eventually forced to takes sides, even if that means betraying his friends. Not rated. (85 min.)
Vámonos con Pancho Villa (1935) on November 8. This film focuses on a group of brave peasants called the Leones de San Paulo, who are nearly exterminated after a series of defeats. When the last soldier is ordered to kill a diseased comrade, his revolutionary zeal fades altogether. Not rated. (92 min.)
El Prisionero 13 (1934) on November 15. A corrupt colonel inadvertently endangers the life of his estranged son after he takes a bribe in exchange for the freedom of a notorious revolutionary who faces death by a firing squad. Not rated. (76 min.)
De Todos Modos Juan te Llamas (1976) on November 22. This film examines the Cristero movement, an armed Catholic rebellion against the new federal government, from the perspective of an observant army general. Not rated. (97 min.)
Ora sí, Tenemos que Ganar (1978) on November 29. A mine collapse prompts an organized rebellion of mine workers against the American owner who exploits them. Not rated. (90 min.)
This film series complements the photo exhibit Viva La Revolución: Mexico 1910 in Retrospect, a partnership with the Consulate of Mexico, on display at the Central Library from November 6, 2010 - January 2, 2011.