Exhibit Delves into the "Organic Ornamentation" Of Master Architect Frank Lloyd Wright
All Library locations will be closed on Saturday, July 4 in observance of Independence Day.
August 16, 2012
Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959) rejected the idea of a house as a box with holes (windows, doors) into which the occupants would move their hodgepodge of belongings.
Instead he saw each building he designed as a fully integrated whole and he painstakingly designed stained glass windows, furniture, carpeting, and even lighting fixtures to reflect his concept.
The great American architect's passion for interior design is featured in the traveling exhibit Frank Lloyd Wright: Architect of the Interior on display from September 1 through October 28, 2012 at the Central Library, 14 W. 10th St.
Featuring high-quality reproduction drawings of interiors, furnishings, and household objects, this display offers a view into Frank Lloyd Wright's creative concept of interior space. In his house designs structure and ornament are one. Every feature - from the overall shape of the building to the smallest detail - was conceived by Wright from the beginning as a single idea.
Wright's approach to visual enrichment as "organic ornament" grew from his belief that the visual character of a form-whether an entire house or a lampshade-is integral to the structure of the object. Exploring the distinctive visual, sensory, and expressive quality of Wright's interiors, Frank Lloyd Wright: Architecture of the Interior reveals how the architect's distinctive abstract and geometric structures permeate the spaces and objects within.
Featured in the exhibit created by International Arts & Artists in collaboration with the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation are 20 reproduction drawings, eight photographs, and four digital wall murals. The curator is Virginia Terry Boyd, professor of design studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
This exhibit is co-sponsored by the Richard J. Stern Foundation for the Arts.
Admission is free. Free parking is available at the Library District Parking Garage at 10th & Baltimore.