Historian Gregory S. Hospodor Explores The Struggle for Vicksburg and Grant's Masterpiece

For Immediate Release:
April 4, 2013
Contact: Lorenzo Butler
816.701.3669
Historian Gregory S. Hospodor Explores The Struggle for Vicksburg and Grant's Masterpiece

Located at the confluence of the Mississippi and Yazoo rivers, Vicksburg, Mississippi, was so strategically important to the Confederacy that Jefferson Davis called it "the nail head that holds the South's two halves together."

It fell to Union General Ulysses S. Grant to bring down Vicksburg in a prolonged campaign that would take more than a year and involve not only armies but the U.S. Navy.

Gregory S. Hospodor of the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College at Fort Leavenworthexamines the Vicksburg campaign in a program titled Vicksburg: Grant's Masterpiece on Thursday, April 18, 2013, at 6:30 p.m. at the Central Library, 14 W. 10th St.

This program is part of the Library's Civil War Sesquicentennial and is co-sponsored by the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College Foundation

Occupying a high bluff over a bend in the Mississippi River and flanked by impenetrable swamps, "the Gibraltar of the Confederacy" controlled river traffic. If the Federals were to use the river, they had to take Vicksburg.

But doing so meant a year-long series of campaigns involving Union gunboats and ground forces, several unsuccessful ploys (widening a canal through the swamps, flooding the delta to provide enough depth for federal vessels), and repeated efforts to lure Confederate commander John C. Pemberton out of the city.

In the end, Grantfound the key to taking the city.

Hospodor is an associate professor in the CGSC's Department of Military History, where he was named Teacher of the Year for 2011. He is a graduate of the College of William and Mary, the University of Mississippi, and Louisiana State University, where he completed a dissertation on the Mexican War, 1846-1848.

Admission is free. A 6 p.m. reception precedes the event. RSVP at kclibrary.org or call 816.701.3407. Free parking is available in the Library District parking garage at 10th & Baltimore.