Architectural Historian and Preservation Consultant Cydney Millstein Examines The Transformation of Kansas City's TWA Building
July 31, 2013
Completed in 1956, the TWA Building at 18th and Main streets served as the airline's national headquarters until 1964, when the company relocated to New York City.
But the distinctively modern building's story didn't end there, as historic preservationist Cydney Millstein explains in the next edition of Old Places, New Spaces, this year's Kansas City Architecture series, on Sunday, August 4, 2013, at 2 p.m. at the Plaza Branch, 4801 Main St.
The series looks at how historic buildings in Kansas City have been repurposed.
Though TWA continued to use the building until 1969 to house its accounting, credit, and cargo departments, it was occupied infrequently in ensuing years. It was recognized as a landmark and in 2002 was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Renovated in 2005-06, it is now the home of the Barkley advertising agency.
Millstein is the founder and principal of Architectural & Historic Research, LLC, the oldest cultural resources consulting firm in Missouri. She is co-author of Houses of Missouri, 1870-1940.
Admission is free. RSVP at kclibrary.org or call 816.701.3407.