The AARP Tax-Aide Program provides free tax preparation and assistance services to low- and middle-income taxpayers, with special attention to those ages 60 and older.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) provides free tax help to taxpayers with lower incomes who cannot prepare their own tax returns. The IRS specifies that VITA serves people who make less than $53,000 per year. However, the minimum income required to qualify for VITA tax-aid may vary from group to group.
Please visit the IRS website  for more information about free tax preparation and assistance.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program offers free, individualized tax preparation for low- and moderate-income taxpayers, especially those aged 60 and older. Find a location near you using the "Tax-Aide Locator" at www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide .
AARP tax assistance can also be found at the following locations, starting in February:
Kansas City Public Library
- Waldo Branch: February 2 – April 12
201 East 75th Street
Mondays & Thursdays: 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Assistance is provided on a first come, first served basis. There are 25 slots available per day.
- Southeast Branch: February 4 – April 15
6242 Swope Parkway
Wednesdays: 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Assistance is provided on a first come, first served basis. There are 20 slots available per day.
Salvation Army—February 3 – April 15
500 West 39th Street, Kansas City, MO
Tuesdays & Wednesdays: 9:00 a.m. – Noon
Call for appointment
Mid-Continent Public Library hosts regular AARP tax-aid sessions from February through April. Please visit www.mymcpl.org  for complete listings.
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance)
Next Step KC operates several IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) tax preparation sites in the Kansas City area. For a list of free tax preparation sites in Metropolitan Kansas City, please visit www.nextstepkc.org  or download their flyer  (en Español ).
VITA can also be found at the following locations, starting in February:
Kansas City Public Library: February 2 – April 7
No appointment necessary
- Central Library
14 West 10th Street
Mondays & Tuesdays: 10:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Vault Level Multipurpose Room
Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p .m. (but not Saturday, March 7)
Meeting Room 312 on the 3rd Floor
- North-East Branch
6000 Wilson Road
Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays: 10 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Thursdays: 10:00 a.m. – 5 p.m. (but not Thursday, March 5, March 12, or March 19)
Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Plaza Branch
4801 Main Street
Mondays, Tuesdays & Wednesdays: 10:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (but not Saturday, March 7)
- Trails West Branch
11401 East 23rd Street
Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- February 7
- February 14
- February 21
- April 4
AIM – Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church—January 31 – April 15
2310 East Linwood Boulevard, Kansas City, MO
Wednesdays: 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays: 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
No appointment necessary
The upper income limit for both single or filing jointly is $53,000. VITA recommends bringing the following (not all may apply to you personally), which is probably a good idea for any tax assistance program:
- Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
- Income documentation (W-2s, 1099s, Social Security SSA-1099, Unemployment 1099-G, 1099-R, etc.)
- Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse and dependents
- Copy of last year’s tax return
- For day care expenses, total amount paid to each provider, and provider’s name, address and ID number (SSN or Employer ID #)
- For student loan interest, amount of interest paid
- For education expenses, types of expense, amounts paid, and documentation
- For direct deposit of refunds, bank account # and bank routing # (this can be found on checks and deposit slips)
For itemized deductions:
- Mortgage statements for mortgage interest and real estate tax
- Property tax paid for vehicles
- Amounts paid to city and state for income tax
- Charitable contributions
- Medical Expenses, insurance premiums and out-of-pocket costs
- For elderly and disabled, proof of property tax and rent paid