“Pardon Me, But Do You Have any Grey Poupon?”
The average American may not be able to name the capital of North Dakota, but we know where the beef is and who’s got milk. Are you a fan of ads? Then let your fingers do the texting. The Kansas City Public Library is having a Twitter Trivia Contest.
New to Twitter ? This free service lets you communicate and connect with others through brief updates. The video Twitter in Plain English explains it well.
Each trivia question will be a famous American catchphrase or slogan in the week leading up to the Central Library event on January 7, 2009 , when Jan R. Van Meter discusses his new book Tippecanoe and Tyler Too: Famous Slogans and Catchphrases in American History.
- Follow KCPubLibrary on Twitter. (You'll need to sign up first if you don't have a Twitter account.)
- KCPubLibrary will post one trivia question each day from Monday, December 29, 2008, to Tuesday, January 6, 2009. The questions will be about famous American catchphrases or slogans.
- The first three people that respond using an @ reply to KCPubLibrary with the correct answer will be awarded points: 3 points for the first person with a correct answer, 2 for the second, and 1 for the third. For example:
Daily winners will be posted on Twitter with the answer to the previous day’s question.
Five overall winners will be announced and a complete list of rankings will be posted on January 7, 2009. The winners will be contacted via Twitter direct message to receive their prize.
- KCPubLibrary will send out a Twitter update like, "Q: What drink uses the advertising slogan - Obey your thirst."
- You can then send a message back that says, "@KCPubLibrary Sprite"
The top five trivia superstars will win a copy of the book, Tippecanoe and Tyler Too: Famous Slogans and Catchphrases in American History.
These are the final rankings for the trivia contest which ended January 7, 2009.
- @deadmongoose , 21 points
- @chadherring , 8 points
- @concertman , 6 points
- @average_jane , 5 points
- @AdamTruax , 4 points
- @buckfever , 3 points
- @joannkc , 2 points; @vromans , 2 points
- @thatandthis , 1 point; @americopywriter , 1 point; @gerbsan , 1 point