"Motivation will almost always beat mere talent."- Norman R. Augustine
When you have identified a job that you are interested in, look carefully over the job application. Like your résumé, have all of your information ready before you begin filling out the application. Remember that the care with which you fill out this application will show the hiring manager how serious you are about the job's responsibilities.
- Many job applications can now be filled out on the Internet, and sometimes this is the only way they can be completed (for some jobs, paper forms may no longer be available). When you find a website that has a job application that you would like to complete, practice filling it out before you send in the final copy.
- If you fill out a job application on the Internet, you will need an e-mail address so that the employer can contact you. The Library offers classes on setting up an e-mail account. Ask a Library staff member for more information.
- For some online job applications, you may need to create an "application account" with a personal username and password. Choose these words carefully. Write them down somewhere safe because you will need to remember your username and password to access your application later.
- Remember that online forms may or may not be completed later once you have started. (Some applications have the username/password system mentioned above so that you can be "remembered" and access it later, and others just have the application). If you are working on a job application at the Library, feel free to ask a staff person to extend your login time.
- Go slowly as you fill out your job application; remember that you have ONE chance to submit it. Capitalize all proper names and places, as well as names of prior employers. Also be careful of spelling and punctuation!
- Be sure to send your résumé along with your job application!
The online database Job & Career Accelerator includes additional helpful tips on filling out job applications.
For additional information, contact an H&R Block Business & Career Center librarian by phone, 816.701.3717, or by e-mail, email@example.com .