Register to Vote / Update Your Voter Registration
You can register to vote or update your voter registration at any Kansas City Public Library location.
You can register to vote if:
- You'll be 18 by the time of the next election
- You're a US citizen
- You're a Missouri resident
You need to re-register to vote if:
- you move
- you change your name
- complete a felony sentence
There are 3 ways to register or re-register to vote:
- In person with a Voter Registrar at any KCPL location (recommend to call in advance to confirm Registrar is available). This registers you immediately.
- Mail a postcard. All KCPL locations have postcards that we will mail for you or you can mail yourself. Your registration will be back-dated to the date on the postcard.
- Register to vote online in Missouri. Fill out a registration form online, then print and mail it in.
You must provide proof of identification to register to vote.
Acceptable forms of ID are:
- ID issued by the state of Missouri, an agency of the state, or a local election authority of the state
- ID issued by the United States government or agency thereof
- ID issued by an institution of higher education, including a university, college, vocational or technical school located within the state of Missouri
- A copy of a utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that contains the name and current address of the voter
- Driver's license or state ID card issued by another state
- Other ID approved by the Secretary of State of Missouri