Using the WorldCat database
WorldCat is a database for finding books and other materials in libraries around the world. Here are the required and suggested fields to complete a search.
- Search For. Next to this choice use the box in the first column on the left to type your keyword, subject, title or author. The box just to the right has a drop down window from which to choose the category search. Repeat this to add additional information on the two lines below this.
- Limit type to. Choose a material type in this section.
- Limit availability to. Check Items in my library to limit the search to what is owned by Kansas City Public Library.
- Search. Press the Search button to get the results.
- The results of your search will appear. Choose the particular item you want by clicking on it.
- The result of this choice gives the individual record for that item. Scroll down to Class Descriptors to see the Dewey number by which the book is shelved in the library. (Note that in the case of fiction, only the author’s last name is needed to find the book.)
- Phone or use chat reference or e-mail reference service to contact a librarian for assistance in locating the book on the shelf.
For more assistance contact the reference desk at 816-701-3433.
Note: If you are accessing WorldCat from outside the Library, you will be asked to login with your Library card number and PIN. Upon validation, you will be returned to the database. If you require assistance, or if you have questions, please Ask a Librarian.