This unique clock is thought to have been built in the 1950s by the Power & Light Building’s engineering staff in appreciation of the iconic Kansas City landmark located at 14th and Baltimore. The building, completed in 1931, is a 36-story structure and is considered one of the greatest examples of Art Deco architecture in America. Purchased by Gailoyd Enterprises in 1964, the building was home to this clock until September of 2014 when the property was purchased by NorthPoint Development to be redeveloped into apartments.
Power and Light Building Replica Clock
Ralph Lauren Mini Writer's Club Chair
This brown leather toddler sized writer's chair is complete with a button-tucked back and brass stud adornments around the base and backside of the chair. It sits atop four low-profile wooden feet.
Renaissance Revival Bookcase
This large-scale, Renaissance Revival style bookcase has five cabinet spaces with glass doors framed by ornate wood carvings. The massiveness of the bookcase is balanced by well integrated and articulate ornament. The glass cabinet doors reveal the contents thereby presenting themselves as the true power of the piece. The base protrudes past the cabinet doors of the bookcase. The bookcase is crowned by a trio of iconic figures in literature with a wooden bust of Shakespeare in the center and low reliefs of Lord Byron to the left and Washington Irving to the right.
San Carlos Grandfather Clock
The San Carlos Grandfather clock stands at six and a half feet tall. It is rectangular in form with little ornamentation and is made of wood with a cherry varnish. Clear glass windows provide a look inside the clock with its brushed silver metal weights and pendulum. The face is off-white with black Roman numerals and black accents. A small drawer rests in between the clock face and base.
This is a 19th century antique Chinese horseshoe-style chair made likely from elmwood. The chair was fabricated using pegs and specially carved joinery that reinforces the structure of the chair. The base has A-shaped legs on each side that are conjoined with a footrest. The seat is rectangular with a depression that suggests there was once an accompanying cushion. Two oblong dowels support the yoked armrest and the backrest consists of a single narrow panel with a circular design in relief near the top.
This is a 19th century antique Chinese horseshoe-style chair made likely from elmwood. The chair was fabricated using pegs and specially carved joinery that reinforces the structure of the chair. The base has A-shaped legs on each side that are conjoined with a footrest. The seat is rectangular with a depression that suggests there was once an accompanying cushion. Two oblong dowels support the yoked armrest and the backrest consists of a single narrow panel with a circular design in relief near the top. Three Chinese characters have been stained into the back of the backrest.
The Steinway & Sons Model L is among the larger sized Steinway ‘baby grands’. The Steinway Model L scale design is based very closely on its predecessor the Model O. The Model L with its square tail, was designed to replace the same-size Model O which featured a rounded tail. The cast iron plate and soundboard conform to the square tail providing additional soundboard space at the rear of the instrument when compared to its predecessor. The Steinway Model L was manufactured from 1924 until 2005.
Stromberg Carlson Radio
This antique piece houses a radio-receiver in a four-legged highboy with a stretcher base. The central cabinet doors slide outward to reveal the face of the radio covered by a decorative panel with flourishing scrollwork pressed into veneer-faced plywood. The radio dial peeks through a narrowing viewfinder outfitted with a minutely ornamented brass piece and below it in gold lettering is the manufacturer name, "Stromberg-Carlson". A corresponding tuning knob with two subsequent knobs for sharpening and volume sit below the dial.
The Library's First Bookcase
This antique Victorian style wooden bookcase was the first to be purchased for the Kansas City Public Library. It has five shelves and two lower drawers. Access to the shelving cabinet is gained through two doors comprised of glass and wood that swing outward. Each door contains four panes of glass. The base of the bookcase contains two drawers, each drawer is accessed by two wooden knobs, located to the right and left of each compartment. The bookcase has three locks, one for the shelving compartment and one for each drawer.
The Umbilicus Clock
Tempered glass clock with artistic silk screen printing acknowledges the work of the great artistic master of antiquity, Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni. The major misperception of the pavement of the "Piazza del Campidoglio" is that this square is a simple geometric or ornamental motif. Michelangelo had the intention of reconnecting with his Etruscan and Roman ancestry, and therefore established in the center of Piazza Campidoglio what he named "the umbilicus" or navel of the world; and he did this by defining his challenging and intriguing oval design.
This is a custom built Renaissance Revival walnut cabinet. The front exterior is primarily encompassed by two large front doors that swing outward. In the interior there are ten narrow shelves with a drawer separating the fifth and sixth shelf. The shelves are each lined with red velvet. The drawer includes a fold-out desk with nine compartments, five of which contain smaller drawers. Two smaller doors, flanking the left and right of side of the main cabinet, open to reveal three shelves. Small drawers are positioned below both of the side doors.
Victorian Centennial Clock
This meticulously crafted clock has a large nineteen inch silver dial with the inscribed initials and date "J.B. 1876". This piece is purported to have been made for the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition and may have been displayed in one of the convention halls. This clock has a pin wheel jewelers movement made by George A. Jones from upstate New York and his movements are considered the finest on that period. This large scale walnut Centennial presentation tall clock was stylistically influenced by the Renaissance Revival.
Victorian Display Case
This elegant antique Victorian style glass display case, circa 1860, is mounted on a four legged wooden base. The wood of this piece is noted to be walnut. The octagonal turned legs are tapered with rounded ornamentation at the top and base of each leg. The base is secured by an attached "I" shaped wooden support connected to each leg. The cabinet is encased with five panes of beveled glass and an interior glass shelf. Each pane of glass is bordered with the same walnut material and is triangular in shape.