These doors once defined the entry of the First National Bank building built in 1906 on 10th and Baltimore streets and what is now home to the Central Branch of the Kansas City Public Library. Local architects Wilder and Wright designed the building in a neo-classical style with heavy stone masonry and frontal colonnade that complemented the ornate bronze doors. At just over seven feet in height, the doors disguise their weight with intricate design and open space that allow one to essentially see through their structure.
First National Bank Bronze Doors
Archer On Horse In Landscape
The artist truly captured the romanticism and vigor of the moment with a stylistic prowess. This scene captures an archer on horseback, richly costumed-wearing a long robed coat, and fur lined hat. The figure holds himself nobly while leaning slightly forward with reins in one hand. He controls his mount masterfully and casually resting his other hand on his hip while grasping his bow. The artist made a great effort to reflect the armory of the horseman, including finely detailed quivered arrows, and a sheathed sword.
First Day Presidential Stamps, August 2005
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Presidential Libraries Act of 1955, the Postal Service honored presidential libraries and their place in American history with this stamp issuance. Presidential libraries are established in the home state of each president after he or she leaves office. The Postal Service has chosen the Seal of the President of the United States to feature on the Presidential Libraries stamp.
First National Bank Pennant
This pennant commemorates the First National Bank of Kansas City. Established in 1886 by Col. James Abernathy and James Lombard, the First National Bank was eventually housed in the building now utilized by the Kansas City Public Library's Central Branch. The Library pays homage to much of the Bank's original features and has dedicated a section of the first floor to the First National Bank Exhibition near One North. To the right of that exhibition is this bronze pennant, dedicated along with the exhibition by the Taylor S. and Patti H. Abernathy Charitable Trust.
This globe is simple in its structural elements but detailed in its cartographic ones. It is tilted on its original axis and held in a full swing arm for maneuverability that allows one to easily view the details across each part of the globe. The color scheme and printed embellishments give it antique, distinguished look. Mountain ranges are in raised relief to provide an idea of the topography of each region. Landmasses are covered in a dense overlay of city and country names with occasional symbols corresponding to a legend located off the western coast of South America.
Kansas City Project: "First National Bank"
This drawing focuses on the architectural detail surrounding the building's title, First National Bank, which is engraved in stone. The building, now the Central Branch of the Kansas City Public Library, is known for its ionic order columns emphasized in this drawing. The columns support the entablature, which includes the architrave, the frieze, and the cornice. Most of the detail in the drawing fades with distance, but not the American flag mounted on the rooftop.
Map of Westport, MO and its additions
As documented in the historical account from the Missouri Valley Special Collections at the Kansas City Public Library, The town of Westport, in 1838, stood near the western edge of the American frontier and served as a disembarking point for traders following the Santa Fe Trail to present-day New Mexico, then a part of Mexico. To reach Westport from the east, traders traveled by river to a natural rock landing near the junction of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers and then trekked four miles south to Westport. This is an original 1885 map of Westport Missouri, by Charles C. Spalding, C.E.
Portrait of James L. Abernathy
Col. James L. Abernathy was born in Warren County, Ohio, March 20, 1833. Abernathy was famed for his business acumen, most notably Leavenworth, KS where he moved in 1856. Abernathy helped stimulate the economic growth of Leavenworth, turning it into a veritable Midwest-Boomtown in the nineteenth century. Abernathy and his brother William began in the retail furniture business. Their operation was the rudiment to what later became a furniture manufacture, and one of the largest of Leavenworth’s industries. Abernathy also had a successful military career.
Sliding Carriage Eastman Kodak Company Camera
Orval Hixon used this large format sliding carriage studio camera from the 1920s through the later years of his career in Lawrence, Kansas during the 1960s and 1970s. This camera produced 8 x 10 inch negatives, and Hixon used it to photograph local clientele for weddings, graduations, and other important occasions. It features a Packard-Ideal shutter and bellows which allow the lens to be moved with respect to the focal plane for focusing.
The Commerical Club of Kansas City Banner
Leaders in Kansas City business have been involved in their city's larger civic life since the first settlers came here in the 1820s. The first formal organization, though, dates from 1856 when a small group of local businessmen established the first commercial organization of Kansas City for the purposes of general public improvement.
Urban Floor Clock III
This grandfather clock stands at approximately six and a half feet high. The design is sleek with black varnish and clear glass windows that reveal brushed metal mechanical elements of the weights and pendulum. The face of the clock is white and adorned with silver Arabic numerals and black accents.
White Matter Fibers: Inside the Brain
What at first appears to be an abstract art installation in the Library’s technology and digital engagement hub is in fact, something deeply conceptual and highly interactive. White Matter Fibers: Inside the Brain is situated in ONE NORTH, the Central Library branch technology center. At first observation, the viewer looks at what might appear to be a colorful opaque mural when it is in fact cerebral and highly interactive. The work spans two glass walls comprised of 8 glass panels and measures 28.75' long.
This large textile work exhibits a blossoming geometric pattern executed with vibrant woven yarn. Large fields of hot pink alternates with yellow and green borders that surround the repeated geometric design. The design and illumination of color work together to create an effect similar to a stained-glass window. Up close, thin black lines that separate colors within the pattern imitate the sautered lines of stained glass designs. The anticipated smoothness of the piece is pleasantly offset by the texture of the yarn itself, woven in and out of a clear plastic grid beneath.