As the Library begins slowly and safely reintroducing limited services during the COVID-19 crisis, we are working to find ways to get you the materials you want to read, watch, or listen to. Our new Pop In / Pick Up holds service, which began May 19, 2020, offers a quick, easy, and contact-free way for the Library to fill your holds requests for physical books, DVDs, and CDs.
Pickup sites and operating hours initially will be limited in adhering to Kansas City’s 10-10-10 rule. The sites providing Pop In / Pick Up service have been selected according to their capacity to allow staff and visitors to practice proper social distancing. They also combine to serve the most neighborhoods within our district. We plan to expand this service to more locations the first week of June as we follow public health experts’ guidance.
How does Pop In / Pick Up work? When you receive notice that your holds are ready, go to the designated pickup site and text or call the number posted on the signs. Once Library staff have checked out your materials, you can pop inside, pick up your holds, and pop out!
Current PickUp Sites:
Pop In / Pick Up Holds Service:
Service days and operating hours will be regularly updated as conditions and needs change.
Thank you for your patience as we work to serve you!
(as of May 25, 2020)
Tuesday through Friday
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
14 W 10th St
Kansas City, MO 64105
Tuesday through Saturday
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
3050 Prospect Ave
Kansas City, MO 64128
4801 Main St
Kansas City, MO 64112
11401 E 23rd St
Independence, MO 64052
201 E 75 St
Kansas City, MO 64114
We will extend hold pickups to our North-East, Southeast, Sugar Creek, Ruiz, and Westport locations the week of June 1, 2020.
Please keep in mind that we may alter the scope and availability of this service as we follow local, state, and national health guidelines. Our priority, as always, is ensuring the safety of Library staff and the public.
Thank you for your patience during this time – your Library is excited to be able to serve you!
How it Works:
- Browse our catalog and find an item you want to borrow.
- Select a pickup location. Sites are currently limited to the Central Library and L.H. Bluford, Plaza, Trails West, and Waldo branches; with service extending to the Library’s remaining branches the first week in June.
- When your materials are available, the Library will email you a notice that your holds are ready at the location you selected.
- Come to your selected pickup site during designated operating hours. When you arrive, text or call the number posted on signs near parking areas to let staff know you are outside and ready to get your holds.
- Library staff will automatically check out your materials to your account when you notify us you have arrived.
- Our staff will place your holds on a pick-up table inside. Your checked-out materials will be bundled with an attached sign with your last name, the last four digits of your Library card number, and the pick-up date.
- Patrons can enter the Library to get their holds one at a time. The Pop In / Pick Up station will be in the lobby area.
- Pop in, pick up your holds, and pop out!
Questions about your holds? Contact us at 816.701.3400, and we’ll be glad to assist.
View full FAQ page
- My preferred Library location isn’t among the five locations initially open for holds pickups. Why?
- What is the Library doing to ensure that the materials I check out are safe?
- When can I pick up my holds once I’ve been notified they’re ready?
- Do I need to bring my Kansas City Public Library card with me?
- Where exactly do I go when I arrive?
- Do I need to wear a mask?
- Can my children accompany me as I pick up my materials?
- Should I be prepared to wait in line?
- Can I request that my holds be brought out to my car?
- Can I browse the shelves or check my email on a Library computer while I’m picking up my holds?
- How long will it take to get an item I placed on hold?
- Once my holds are available, how long do I have to pick them up?
- When does my checkout period actually start?
- What if I no longer need or want the items I have on hold?
- How long do I have to return materials?
- What if I have other questions about my holds?