The Kansas City Public Library’s priority during the COVID-19 pandemic has been, and remains, the health and safety of its staff and the community it serves. The Library will continue to require masks inside all physical locations, as many of our patrons have not yet received vaccinations or are part of populations lacking equal access to vaccinations. Wearing masks helps ensure the safety of all Library guests and staff. The Library will continue to monitor vaccination rates in Kansas City, Missouri, and the wider metropolitan area to continually reevaluate our masking requirement.
COVID SAFETY POLICIES
(as of November 1, 2021)
- Masks must be worn by guests age 2 and up.
- Masks must meet CDC recommendations (details at cdc.gov).
- Masks must be worn properly, fully covering both nose and mouth.
- Mask substitutes not permitted:
- Face shields alone (pairing with mask OK)
- Handkerchiefs tied around the face
- Single-layer gaiters (can use a double-layer gaiter or fold it to make two layers)
- Masks with valves (vents allow virus to escape)
- Food and drink not permitted inside the Library.
- Visitors must comply with occupancy limits for Library buildings and spaces.
- Patrons should follow instructions provided by Library staff relative to safe use of our facilities.
- Feeling sick? Please don’t visit for now and help keep everyone healthy. We’ll see you once you’re well!
VISITING YOUR LIBRARY
(as of Nov. 15, 2021)
Visit kclibrary.org/locations for information on each KC Library location.
- Location Hours: Full regular open service hours in effect at Library locations.
- Browsing and Holds: Come inside to explore our shelves pick up your holds.
- Returns: Borrowed books, DVDs, and CDs can be placed in outdoor drop boxes or indoor returns areas.
- Technology Services: Public computers are available without appointments. Patrons can use Library print, fax, and scan services. Free wireless internet is available inside and outside all locations. Internet to Go kits can be reserved and checked out.
- Library Spaces: Guests may sit, relax, and read in public areas. Furniture has been spaced out and barriers installed to provide proper social distancing. Study areas by appointment are still available at select locations.
- Meeting Rooms: Available by reservation, with capacity limits.
- Kids Café is offered as a grab-and-go service at the Library’s Bluford, Southeast, Trails West, and Waldo locations. (View schedule on our calendar)
- Several Library services continue to be offered by appointment. Community Reference sessions, local history research, and more are available at kclibrary.org/appointments.
CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE / RESUMING LATER
(as of Nov. 15, 2021)
- Some meeting and study rooms remain closed, many others are now open. Read more »
- Many indoor in-person public events and classes remain paused. View available online or in-person activities.
SAFETY AND CLEANING MEASURES
- Hand sanitizer readily available in public areas.
- Protective Plexiglas shields installed in service areas.
- Computer stations arranged for physical distancing. Keyboards and tables are cleaned regularly.
- Public areas have been organized for physical distancing. High-touch areas are regularly cleaned.
- Children’s areas and toys undergo thorough regular cleaning.