Bluford Library Assistant (2 openings) – 051822
- We are hiring for two openings with similar duties but different schedules. See schedules below.
- Reports to the Bluford Branch Manager
- 20 hours per week
- Salary: $14.24 per hour, becoming $15 per hour on July 1, 2022
- Position is open until filled.
- Thu 9am-3:30pm
- Fri 9am-3:30pm
- Sat 8:30am-5pm
- Tue 12:30am-8:00pm
- Wed 12:30pm-8:00pm
- Sun 10:30am-5:00pm
- Provide basic circulation and registration services to assure patrons ready access to library materials: Checks materials in and out; issues library cards; collects money on account charges; updates customer records in the database; verbally explains circulation policies and procedures; makes other computer inquiries; and processes patron requests for reserve items.
- Provide excellent customer service: assist patrons with use of library databases, computer equipment, and software; process patrons’ request material; prepares and sends Interlibrary Loan requests; and provides patrons with reader’s advisory assistance.
- Transfer materials, which may weigh up 30 pounds, to and from book bins and shelves. Work environment that may be noisy or dusty.
- Undertake special projects as assigned.
- Work cooperatively with others.
- Use decision making skills to reflect values-based principles.
- Ability to meet and serve the public, working effectively with patrons of all ages.
- Ability to learn library operations, services, and policies, including computer procedures.
- Ability to organize daily work routines for location effectively.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with colleagues and the public.
- Basic computer skills with a willingness to learn and keep current with emerging technologies.
- Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to access materials from shelves which may be over head or those which may be below waist level. Must be able to work at a counter used for customer interactions.
- Many duties are performed while standing and bending; ability to lift up to 30 lbs. Working environment may at times be dusty and noisy.
- Ability to speak and understand English is required. Additional consideration may be given to individuals that are fluent in any non-English languages spoken in the Kansas City area including Somali, Swahili, Spanish, Arabic, French, Dari, Pashto, and Vietnamese.
- Minimum requirements include high school diploma or equivalent.
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.