Under general supervision of the Director of Central Library Operations, oversees operation of the Library café. Including: ensuring food quality and safety; creating a welcoming and clean environment; sourcing local vendors; and adding library tangent events and themes when possible.
Other Things You Should Know
This is a full-time exempt position. Starting salary range DOQ starting at $45,706 plus excellent benefits. Position open until filled. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. This position is open until filled.
- Providing great customer service by developing a rapport with customers, resolving customer complaints regarding food quality and customer service, suggesting new menu items based on customers' preferences and feedback, and identifying strategies to attract and retain customers.
- Recruiting, training, supervising, and scheduling of café staff.
- Performs daily general barista functions, including, preparing and selling coffee drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques, maintaining a safe and healthy work environment by following organization standards and sanitation regulations, troubleshooting issues with equipment and submits work orders as needed, and keeping service points and workspaces tidy, stocked, and attractive.
- Ensuring that all café expenses are within budget and identifying ways to decrease operational costs.
- Taking inventory of café supplies and ordering new stock as needed, receiving and verifying the delivery of café supplies. managing relationships with café vendors, and establishing relationships with new vendors.
- Overseeing the selection of Cafe merchandise.
- Ability to deal in an effective and courteous manner with members of the public daily and enjoys working with and possess the skills to interact with both children and adults in a professional manner.
- Strong commitment to positive and polite customer service.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize customer requests.
- Ability to make quality handcrafted coffee and tea beverages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Intermediate computer skills.
- Ability to exhibit patience, cultural sensitivity, and establish boundaries and mutual respect with patrons.
- Minimum qualifications include previous coffee shop or food industry experience and possession of a current, valid driver’s license in good standing. Must also possess or be able to obtain the Kansas City, MO Food Handlers Permit within the first month of employment.
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.