Digital Branch Librarian
The Digital Branch Librarian operates as the primary point of contact for staff and patrons of the Kansas City Public Library (KCPL) for issues relating to the Library’s suite of digital tools, with specific emphasis on the primary website, the staff intranet, and the online catalog.
Other Things You Should Know
This is a full-time exempt position. Starting salary range DOQ starting at $45,706. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. This position is open until filled.
- Coordinates with internal departments in the creation and maintenance of web content.
- Provides project coordination for the development of new content areas of the website and the onboarding of new digital services.
- Facilitates staff engagement with digital properties by managing user accounts, establishing workflows, creating documentation, and delivering training.
- Serves KCPL’s online users by providing direct support and training via digital channels when needed.
- Designs, creates and maintains web pages in response to organizational needs and strategies.
- Operate as primary maintainer and liaison for staff website/intranet.
- Creates documentation on the appropriate use of digital tools for both patrons and staff.
- Supports patrons and staff in their use of the Library website, catalog, and third-party services, providing assistance in both individual sessions and group trainings as necessary.
- Assesses web applications, subscription services and hosted solutions in terms of functionality and user experience. Works with vendors to ensure proper implementation of these services, to troubleshoot issues as they arise, and to suggest improvements and additional functionality.
- Configures, analyzes and reports on web analytics, making recommendations accordingly.
- Familiarity with Drupal or other major content management system.
- Intermediate skill with HTML/CSS.
- Expertise in standard productivity tools such as SharePoint, Trello, and Microsoft Teams.
- Knowledge of web design standards and best practices.
- Ability to communicate patiently, clearly, effectively, and professionally with colleagues of varying digital skill levels in person, on the telephone, and in writing.
- Ability to set goals, monitor progress and prioritize concurrent projects in time-sensitive situations.
- Ability to develop documentation on the effective use of digital tools.
- Ability to assess digital workflows and interfaces in light of patron privacy, accessibility and usability.
- Familiarity with digital tools used in public libraries such as research databases, e-content services, and online learning platforms.
- Minimum requirements include 3 years of library experience or master’s degree in Library Science, Information Science, or a related field. These requirements may also be met by an equivalent combination of education, work experience, and life experience.
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.