Director of Finance / CFO
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
The Kansas City Public Library system consists of a central library, nine physical branches, a digital branch, and an outreach services program serving a constituency of over 250,000 in Kansas City, Missouri. In addition to providing library services to residents, the Library also serves as a resource for the 1.7 million metropolitan residents of greater Kansas City.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of the Library, the Director of Finance / Chief Financial Officer is responsible for directing and managing all financial operations of the Library within the Library’s approved framework of goals, objectives, policies and procedures; works closely with executive management staff on all phases of business support and financial development, and oversees the contracting function for the Library. Areas reporting to the Director of Finance include all financial services, procurement, and other administrative and business functions as assigned. This position, as assigned, will be the primary representative advocating for the Library with the various tax incentive granting boards; and will perform frequent analysis on economic development projects. The general responsibilities of this position include planning, implementation and assessment of financial and administrative strategies, policies and procedures which enhance the Library’s core mission. The successful candidate will be compensated according to qualifications and experience in a range beginning at $80,000 per year plus an attractive benefits package.
1. Functions as Chief Financial Officer and Budget Officer for the Library, participates in all aspects of planning, budgeting and policy development and assumes authority for financial decisions as directed by Assistant Library Director. Participates in presentations to the Board of Trustees in areas of finance and budgeting.
2. Coordinates the maintenance of the Library’s financial systems, including all aspects of design, procurement and implementation; assumes responsibility for coordination of all audits and the preparation of the Library’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report; and reviews and monitors recommendations for the expenditure of Library funds
3. Supervises the Finance department staff; and the centralized Purchasing department staff.
4. Helps formulate and interpret management decisions, directions, policies and procedures to departmental staff and the public, and relays public and staff needs and suggestions to management.
5. Maintains and monitors major revenue generating contracts such as the parking garage operations and café/catering operation; ensures performance and compliance with terms; prepares and submits report and program evaluations; and insures timeliness renewal.
6. Performs detailed financial analysis on economic development projects seeking tax incentives from the Library; represents the Library and other taxing jurisdictions on the Kansas City TIF Commission and with other tax incentive organizations to promote economic development decisions that have positive long-term impact on funding and mitigate the immediate or negative impact on taxing jurisdictions.
7. Represents the Library in professional and educational associations at the local, state and national level; maintains good public relations.
8. Performs other related work and undertakes special projects as assigned.
1. Considerable knowledge of financial and business principles and practices; and ability to apply this knowledge in the library setting.
2. Demonstrated leadership ability, team management, and interpersonal skills.
3. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with attention to detail.
4. Strong communication skills (written and verbal).
5. Considerable knowledge of computer technology and its utilization in business operations.
6. Ability to analyze business issues and managerial problems and recommend workable solutions.
7. Ability to maintain effective internal and external work relationships and good public relations.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field and 10 years professional accounting experience. Experience in computerized accounting and spreadsheets required. CPA, or MBA or other advanced degree and extensive nonprofit or governmental experience with emphasis in financial, administrative and technology areas are preferred.
Due to membership to some boards on which this position may serve, residency in Missouri is preferred.
How to Apply
Please apply for this position through our web application system. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.