Outreach Youth Librarian
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Youth & Family Engagement (YFE) in cooperation with the Director of Library Outreach and Community Engagement, provides and promotes library youth services by taking those services to children, teens, and their caring adults. Seeks out opportunities to support work system-wide in ensuring quality library service for youth in Kansas City.
What You'd Do
As an Outreach Youth Librarian, you would:
- Work collaboratively with the Library Outreach department and the Community Engagement group to enhance the outreach and vulnerable population services provided for youth. Seek ways to connect youth services staff with community resources.
- Determine best practices and expectations for youth and family focused outreach events, in cooperation with YFE leadership and librarians.
- Work with the Library VISTA Specialist to coordinate Summer VISTAs for the Library.
- Participate in collection maintenance and development at the direction of the Collection Development Department.
- Serve as an embedded youth librarian at relevant events, promoting Library resources and seeking feedback. Build effective partnerships with external stakeholders.
- Participate in the planning and presenting of system wide youth and family programming. Provide back-up support for YFE librarians for programming as needed.
Requirements include: excellent oral and written communication skills, intermediate computer skills, and the flexibility to readily respond to changing circumstances and expectations; the ability to organize work effectively, plan programs, and work collaboratively to develop and grow new library services; the ability to work with diverse populations and a working knowledge of children’s and teen literature and online resources. The position additionally requires a basic understanding of Every Child Ready to Read and 21st Century Learning Skills, a valid driver’s license and ability to obtain a commercial driver’s license, and the ability to lift 30 lbs.
Minimum qualifications include Master’s Degree in Library Science or the equivalent combination of appropriate degree and applicable work experience; significant experience working with youth and the important adults in their lives; understanding of child and adolescent development; and a passion for excellent library services for and with youth. Multi-lingual preferred.
Other Things You Should Know
This is a full-time exempt position. The starting salary is $44,810 including excellent benefits. This position is open until filled.
Please apply for this position through our web application system at www.kclibrary.org/jobs. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.