Reporting to the Deputy Director for Public Affairs and Community Engagement, the Writer/Editor researches, writes, edits, proofreads, and fact-checks content for a broad range of external and internal communications platforms.
Other Things You Should Know
This is a full-time exempt position. Starting salary range DOQ starting at $44,810. Position open until filled. Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. This position is open until filled.
- Produces most written material related to the functions of the Public Affairs department, including content for the Library’s printed and online monthly calendar of signature events, marketing materials, press releases and announcements.
- In coordination with the media relations specialist, creates content for the Library’s staff newsletter, copy for special initiatives, narrative for grant and award submissions, interpretive/educational text for Library art exhibits, and Library-related stories for outside publications including the Library blog, The Kansas City Star and KC Studio magazine.
- Edits all written copy produced by Public Affairs, and to a degree by other departments throughout the Library.
- Participates in the staging of signature programming events, attending several evening events monthly in rotation with other Public Affairs staff.
- The ability to provide concise, persuasive, error-free copy in a style that is consistent with the Library’s messaging and branding.
- Comfort with collaborating with colleagues in the Public Affairs department, and with those in other departments across the Library.
- Adeptness at juggling multiple projects and deadlines.
- Proven work experience as a staff writer, computer proficiency (MS Office), excellent writing skills in English, is required.
- Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or relevant field, or a combination of education and related experience, is preferred. Required: proven work experience as a staff writer, computer proficiency (MS Office), excellent writing skills in English.
Please apply for this position through our web application system. We will only be accepting applications submitted through this system. If you are chosen for an interview, the hiring team will reach out to you directly. Once the position is filled, other applicants will receive an email from us. Please note that we cannot respond to requests for application status and generally do not provide interim updates to applicants.
Kansas City Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.