Monday, January 22, 2018
Library Offers Free Tax Preparation Assistance
Kansas City, MO - Tax season is here, and the Kansas City Public Library is offering free tax preparation and assistance for all patrons beginning January 29, 2018.
The Library has once again collaborated with AARP and Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) to assist those making less than $60,000 per year, single or filing jointly. Volunteers will prepare patrons’ 2017 taxes at the following locations on a first-come, first-served basis:
- Central Library, 14 W. 10th St – Mondays and Saturdays beginning at 10 a.m.
- North-East Branch, 6000 Wilson Rd. – Tuesdays beginning at 2 p.m. and Wednesdays beginning at 10 a.m.
- Plaza Branch, 4801 Main St. – Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays beginning at 10 a.m. and Tuesdays beginning at noon.
- Trails West Branch, 11401 E. 23rd St. – Thursdays beginning at 10 a.m.
- Waldo Branch, 201 E. 75th St. – Mondays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (by appointment only at this location).
IRS volunteers will also be on hand in February to teach patrons how to e-file their own taxes, using the United Way’s www.myfreetaxes.com. This service is available to people making less than $66,000 per year, at the following times and locations:
- Ruiz Branch – Saturday, February 3, 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Waldo Branch – Thursday, February 8, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- North-East Branch – Saturday, February 10, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Trails West – Thursday, February 15, 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Southeast Branch – Wednesday, February 21, 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Central Library – Wednesday, February 28, 4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Patrons are advised to bring proof of identification (photo ID); Social Security cards or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse, and dependents; wage and earning statements (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers; and other pertinent documents and information. Click here for more information.