Tax Assistance

Paper Forms:

Federal forms:

IRS in Kansas City in Union Station
30 West Pershing Rd. Suite 600, Kansas City, MO 64108
Mon through Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Missouri State form:

State Office Building
615 E. 13th St., Kansas City, MO 64105
Mon through Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm, Monday - Friday.

Kansas City Tax form:

City Hall - Finance Department - 3rd Floor
414 E. 12th St.
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Free Tax Preparation

Note: Library staff are NOT tax experts. All questions are to go through the tax service preparers. Call 2-1-1 for assistance.

AARP Tax-Aid At the Library

Representatives from AARP will be on hand to assist seniors with low to moderate income with their federal and state (Missouri and Kansas) income tax returns.
***NOTE: All AARP tax appointment slots for the season are full. Please visit for a list of other local sites offering tax assistance.***

Mondays and Thursdays, February 4-April 11, 2019
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Waldo Branch | 201 E. 75th St.

Connecting for Good

Connecting for Good operates several IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) tax preparation sites in the Kansas City area. Free tax help is available for taxpayers with income less than $60,000 who cannot prepare their own tax returns. For additional information about tax preparation days and hours, visit them online.

What to bring to your tax help appointment

  • Proof of identification (photo ID)
  • Social Security cards or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents (Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN)
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • All 1095 Forms, Health Insurance Statements
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
  • Direct deposit and/or banking information
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • Proof of daycare expenses with provider name, address and ID number
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable


E-file your taxes for free using United Way's This is available to those making under $66,000 per year.

Check out our in-person tax help at your local branch.

Other Free Tax Services

Internal Revenue Service

The IRS website has a whole section devoted to Free File. There are links to 15 companies that offer this free service. Be sure to read the Free File FAQs. It is best to always go through the IRS website to link up to a company to take advantage of this free service.

For the latest news from the IRS on recent changes this tax season such as the annual inflation adjustment, check the New Events section.


MyFreeTaxes is an online filing service that provides easy, free tax help brought to you by United Way and powered by H&R Block's safe and secure software. United Way's MyFreeTaxes helps households with an adjusted gross income of $66,000/year or less save money and maximize refunds and tax credits without being solicited for financial products or refund anticipation loans.

Affordable Care Act Tax Questions

Tools are available for individuals who have questions about their tax filing responsibilities under the Affordable Care Act. General resources can be found at or

Need Assistance with a Tax Problem?

Free legal resources are available to help low-income families with tax-related problems from prior years. To qualify, income needs to be below $28,725 for individuals or under $58,875 for a family of four. Assistance can include helping respond to IRS audits, establishing payment plans, and other options.

Kansas City Tax Clinic

This is a project of the University of Missouri-Kansas City Graduate Tax Law Foundation and is staffed by UMKC tax law students under the supervision of experienced practitioners. The Kansas City Tax Clinic provides free, high quality representation to those who could not otherwise afford professional assistance. Note: They do NOT provide tax preparation services. Contact them online or at 816.235.6201

Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic of Legal Aid of Western Missouri

The LITC at Legal Aid of Western Missouri provides free legal representation by experienced tax attorneys for low-income taxpayers in a 40-county area.

Contact: Legal Aid of Western Missouri at 816.474.6750