Volunteers Needed - Tech Coach
Join Kansas City Public Library’s volunteer team of Tech Coach volunteers to help KC adults across the digital divide! Commit just 1-2 hours per week to help patrons develop basic computer and internet skills, create and use email and social media accounts, build resumes and so much more! Morning, afternoon, or evening times are available, Monday – Saturday. Training and ongoing support are provided.
Choose a Tech Coach format and schedule that works for you:
- Drop-In Computer Lab: Be available to answer questions in a welcoming, open computer lab environment at the library. For example, a patron may need help downloading and printing a file from their email, logging on to a website or formatting a document. Be stationed at a designated area within the library and assist patrons on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Basic Computer Classes: Guide a small group of students through a one-time class or a 5-week series of classes using our simple curriculum for topics that range from very basic computer usage (how to use a mouse, open an internet browser, etc.) to opening an email account, to building a resume.
- One-on-One Appointments: Often our learners have very specific questions or goals and learn most efficiently through direct personal assistance. Based on YOUR schedule and availability, you can accept digital learning appointment requests from patrons. The library will provide computers and safe space for you to help patrons reach their personal digital literacy goals.
Locations Where Volunteers Will Serve:
- Southeast Branch, 6242 Swope Parkway KCMO
- North-East Branch, 6000 Wilson Rd. KCMO
- Westport Branch, 118 Westport Rd. KCMO
- Excellent computer skills, including the ability to use the Internet and email with ease
- Ability to communicate in an effective, supportive way with learners
- Flexibility and patience
- Respect for differences in culture and learning styles
- Able to work independently in a community computer lab
- Interest in digital literacy and adult education
- Job skills, professional reference, resume enhancement, and networking opportunities within the community
- Knowledge that your efforts are helping others reach their personal goals and cross the digital divide
- Experience with persons from a variety of educational and cultural backgrounds
- Experience with online learning tools
The Kansas City Public Library offers Tech Coach information and training sessions twice each month:
- Noon on first Tuesdays at Central Library, 14 W 10th Street KCMO
- 6 p.m. on third Thursdays at Plaza Branch, 4801 Main Street KCMO
Volunteers must have completed an application and register in advance to attend a training session. To apply: Fill out the online application.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 816.701.3662.