H&R Block Business & Career Center
All Library locations will be closed on Monday, May 25 in observance of Memorial Day.
Welcome to the H&R Block Business & Career Center
The H&R Block Business & Career Center, located on the 3rd floor of the Central Library, 14 W. 10th St., is a dedicated service center for patrons doing research in:
- Select from a collection of business books, including FORTUNE'S top 75 business books
- Access research databases including:
- AtoZdatabases: 2.3 million job listings, 30 million business profiles, 1.1 million healthcare professionals. Ideal for sales leads, mailing lists, market research, employment opportunities, finding friends and relatives, and much more.
- Business Insights: Global: Read scholarly articles about thousands of business topics. You can also locate industry profiles, market research reports, and SWOT analyses for individual companies.
- Business Source Complete provides up-to-date information on the financial health of specific industries, changes in technology, and consumer trends.
- DemographicsNow: Produce comprehensive business and residential lists as well as detailed demographic reports. Assess business viability, perform market and site location analysis, create sales leads and/or marketing mailing lists, find potential sponsors and donors to grow a non-profit, prepare a small business plan and much more.
- Business Plan Pro is a software program that is useful for outlining business plans.
Job Seeking and Career Development
- Conduct online job searches.
- To format your résumé, use WinWay Résumé Deluxe on the Center’s computers.
- Job Now (Library card is required to access from outside the Library) guides you through the necessary tasks to get a job, including acing the interview, building a resume, and personality & career assessments.
- LearningExpress (Library card is required to access from outside the Library) offers practice tests for standardized tests, such as the General Equivalency Diploma (GED) and Law School Admission Test (LSAT), civil service exams, the U.S. citizenship test, and occupational licenses, including practice tests for nurses and paramedics.
Grant Research and Writing
The Kansas City Public Library is a Funding Information Network partner of the Foundation Center, a grants-research organization based in New York, providing access to essential research databases.
Business and Financial News
- Three monitors in the Center display current business news from Bloomberg, MSNBC, and the Fox Business Network.
- Access online databases such as Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage (Library card is required to access from outside the Library). Check S&P ratings on stocks, bonds, and mutual funds, read weekly stock “picks and pans,” access corporate annual reports and other company data, and use the Stock Screener to identify the right investments for your financial planning strategy.
- Read print business newspapers and investor newsletters.
- For additional independent analysis, the weekly print publication Value Line covers 3500 stocks and 1900 mutual funds on a quarterly basis.
Youth financial literacy
The Center is a local focal point for lifelong financial literacy and entrepreneurship, starting with future business leaders—children and teens. Ask a librarian for book recommendations to teach young adults to manage money, understand the stock market, or how to start a small business. The Center also assists youths with career development and entrepreneurship.
Consultations, computers, and classes
Call 816.701.3717 to set up an appointment for a personal consultation with a business librarian to discuss your business, career, or financial concerns. Computers are available for Center patrons, and the Library provides free high-speed wireless Internet access.
The Library offers free classes, such as résumé creation, Internet and software basics, and job search strategies.