Interlibrary Loan for Individuals
Contact Interlibrary Loan
Kansas City Public Library | 14 West 10th Street | Kansas City, MO 64105
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 816.701.3463 | Fax: 816.701.3464
Mon - Fri: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Sat - Sun: Closed
Making a Request
- Check the Kansas City Public Library’s catalog to see if the item is owned by the library or its consortium members. If so, then just place the item on hold; it will be delivered to the branch of your choice.
- If you don't see the item that you need in the Library's catalog, try searching WorldCat. Locate the item in a participating library and click "Borrow this item" on the detailed item record to begin your ILLiad transaction.
- If you can't locate the item in WorldCat, make a request via ILLiad with the title, author, and any other publication information you can provide.
- Materials not owned by the Kansas City Public Library and its consortium members.
- Books, videos, CDs, both musical and spoken word, and audiocassettes.
- Census records and newspapers on microfilm. Note, all microfiche and microfilm must be viewed and copied at the Central Library.
- Photocopies of newspaper or periodical articles that the library does not own or have in its databases.
- Dissertations and theses.
- Reference and genealogy material.
- Items published within the current year.
- Items owned by Kansas City Public Library and its consortium members.
- Items older than 100 years.
- Computer files.
- Textbooks or classroom related items.
- Materials needed in less than two weeks.
Why do I need to have an Interlibrary Loan account?
The Interlibrary Loan software helps us process your requests and items in a quick and efficient manner. It also lets you view the status of your request and make renewal requests at any time.
How long will it take for my request to arrive?
Items are usually received and processed within 2 weeks. However, the time may vary depending on the availability of the item, the location of the library willing to lend the item, and the way the item is shipped. ILLiad allows you 24 hour access to your interlibrary loan account.
How will I be notified when my item is ready to be picked up?
You will be notified automatically by the method you indicated when filling out your library card application.
Where do I pick up my item?
Interlibrary loan items must be picked up at the main information desk at the pick up location you specify. They are not available on the regular Holds shelf.
Is there a charge for Interlibrary Loan?
While it is our policy not to charge our customers for interlibrary loans, some libraries do charge to lend their materials. If this happens, you will be notified in advance of us ordering the material.
How many requests can I submit at once?
Due to the high volume of requests we receive, we now limit customers to 40 active requests at once. An active request is one that has not been returned to and received by the lending library. Staff is able to process up to a maximum of four requests, per customer, each day.
How long can I keep an item borrowed through interlibrary loan?
The lending library sets the due date. Some give three weeks, while others may only allow 2 weeks.
Can I renew Interlibrary Loan items?
The lending library determines if they will allow renewals. We will request renewals for you. Please use your ILL account or call 701-3463, option 1 to ask for a renewal. Items may be renewed only once and overdue items may not be renewed.
What happens when the date on the green band doesn’t match the date the circulation staff gives me?
Some times circulation staff may miss the date located on the green band, if this happens, please use the date on the green band and call the interlibrary loan department for a correction.
Why do I have to leave that green band on the books?
The green band has all the information needed for staff to identify the item and to correctly check the item in and out for you. This is why it is important that you do not remove the green band. It also provides you with the correct due date.
How long may I keep the material?
Each lending library has its own loan period and renewal policy. Loan periods may range from 1-3 weeks. We must abide by the loan period and any restrictions the loaning library places on the item. Any item borrowed through interlibrary loan is subject to recall by the lending library.
What if I keep the item overdue or lose it?
Interlibrary loan depends upon the good will of other libraries. Failure to return the item on time jeopardizes our future borrowing privileges. Lending libraries charge replacement charges plus a processing fee. Replacement charges range from $20 to over five hundred dollars if the item is not currently in print.
Where do I return the material?
Interlibrary loan material may be returned in the standard book return at any Kansas City Public Library location.