The Trails West Branch Library is located a few blocks off the Santa Fe Trail in Independence, within two miles of the Harry S. Truman historical district and world headquarters for the Community of Christ. This branch has numerous activities and programs for children and adults.
Featured Activity at This Branch
At this branch
- Computers: 13 for adults, 3 for business, 4 for teens, 4 for kids, 3 "express" (15-minute limit), & 7 laptops
- Wireless: All branches have free Wi-Fi wireless Internet access.
- Study Rooms:
2 rooms — accommodate 1 – 2 people
(2 hour limit; available on a first-come, first-served basis)
- Meeting Rooms: 2 rooms
- Passport Services
Begins October 6 2017. All adults and senior adults are welcome to join us for coffee and coloring!
Coffee and coloring supplies will be provided or bring your own.
Drop in as long as you like. No registration is required.
Walk-ins only. The first to arrive will fill the available slots for the day at each location.
Thursdays starting at 10:00 a.m.
This service is available to individuals making $60,000 per year or less.
Library staff are NOT tax experts. All questions are to go through the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
Before visiting a VITA volunteer, see Publication 3676-B for a list of services provided and check out the IRS What to Bring page to ensure you have all the required documents and information the volunteers will need to help you.
Please bring the following items:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents (Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All 1095 Forms, Health Insurance Statements Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Direct deposit and/or banking information
- Proof of daycare expenses with provider name, address and ID number
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Bring your little ones for a storytime with music and great books, followed by a fun activity for all to enjoy.
Explore the world of Tabletop Gaming! It's not just Monopoly anymore. The games are bigger, better and weirder. From cooperative to competitive, we have a large selection of games that we'll rotate through, so that every time you visit you'll likely play something new.
Don't worry about the weather. Come walk a mile in the comfort of air conditioning. Participants will follow Leslie Sansone DVDs to start their weight loss journey with a gentle paced 1 mile beginner walk program. Participants will increase their heart rate with low impact moves.
Get fit fast with America s #1 walking system! Leslie Sansone's 2 Mile Brisk Walk-30 Minutes
This is an extension of the Walk On 1 class. Participants will follow Leslie's DVD in a 2 mile walking workout that builds strength, endurance and flexibility, while boosting energy levels and super-charging your upper and lower body. This class is free and open to the public.
U.S. Passport application services are available at the Trails West Branch. No appointment necessary—services are offered during regular business hours. Passport service ends one hour before closing time.
There are required documents to bring and other steps to review before your visit. A checklist of materials and details can be found on the Passport Services page.