Library cards & accounts
Go to our Library card application form and sign up for a library card online. We'll mail the card to you, and you'll need to show us some form of ID when you first use the card. Please allow 10-15 business days for the library card to arrive in the mail and the account to become active.
- OR -
Visit one of our Library locations and complete a library card application. Picture I.D. is required to apply for a library card. Proof of your current address is also required. Until your address is verified you will only be able to check out three items at a time. Address can be verified with current ID, utility bill, property lease, postmarked letter addressed to you.
- Check out books, videos, DVDs, CDs, etc.
- Sign on to our public computers
- Access the Library’s electronic resources remotely. Those resources include E-Books, magazine article databases, business databases, online homework help, foreign language instruction and more.
- Request a book that's already checked out (more information on placing a hold)
- Login to your library account to review your account and renew items you've checked out
Residents of Missouri and Kansas can get a library card. If you live outside of the Kansas City, MO Metropolitan Area (Missouri Counties: Platte, Lafayette, Jackson, Clay, Cass, Clinton, Bates, Caldwell; Kansas Counties: Wyandotte, Miami, Leavenworth, Johnson, Franklin, Linn) remote access to some electronic resources such as E-Books may be restricted.
Temporary cards are available, free of charge, based on special circumstances. Temporary cards expire after 6 months.
There is no minimum age for obtaining a library card. A parent or guardian’s signature is required for those 12 and under.
Persons 13 or older do not need permission to get a library card.
Please call 816.701.3400 to report the lost card and then visit your nearest branch library with ID to replace the card. There is a $1 charge to replace a lost library card.
Every two years, your card will expire. This occurs so the Library can verify and update your address, phone number and email information. You can do this by visiting or phoning any of our locations.
If you have a Library Card, you also have an Account.
To Log On:
- Go to the Library Catalog and click on My Account or go directly to My Account
- Enter your Library Card # (the 13-digit number on the back of your card underneath the barcode)
- Enter your PIN number
- Click the Log in button
- Click "My Account-Review or Renew Items" to manage your account
To Review Your Account:
To see your checked-out materials, holds, and request, select the Review My Account link on the My Account screen. See the page "Checking out materials" or "Renewing materials" for detailed instructions.