Library cards & accounts
Complete and submit a Library Card Application Form and sign up for a library card online. We'll mail the card to you, and you'll need to show us some form of ID when you first use the card. Please allow 10-15 business days for the library card to arrive in the mail and the account to become active.
- OR -
Visit one of our Library locations and complete a library card application. Picture I.D. is required to apply for a library card. Proof of your current address is also required. Until your address is verified you will only be able to check out three items at a time. Address can be verified with current ID, utility bill, property lease, postmarked letter addressed to you.
- Check out books, videos, DVDs, CDs, etc.
- Sign on to our public computers
- Access the Library’s electronic resources remotely. Those resources include E-Books, magazine article databases, business databases, online homework help, foreign language instruction and more.
- Request a book that's already checked out (more information on placing a hold)
- Login to your library account to review your account and renew items you've checked out
Residents of Missouri and Kansas are eligible for a free library card. Temporary cards are also available free of charge based on special circumstances.
Cards may be issued immediately if an applicant has proper identification and can verify current address. Without identification there may be restrictions on the account.
Children 12 or Younger
A parent or guardian’s signature is required to obtain a card for children 12 or younger. Children should be present at the time of application. The parent or guardian's signature acknowledges responsibility for the library card and material borrowed against the card. ID is not required.
Children 13 or Older
Children 13 or older do not need permission from a parent or guardian to obtain a library card. They must present one piece of ID; they may use either a school ID, class schedule, lunch ticket, state ID, driver's license, or other reasonable documentation for ID. If a parent or guardian is present, they may provide verbal identification. Children 13 or older are responsible for materials checked out.
Please call 816.701.3400 to report the lost card and then visit your nearest branch library with ID to replace the card. There is a $1 charge to replace a lost library card.
Every two years, your card will expire. This occurs so the Library can verify and update your address, phone number and email information. You can do this by visiting or phoning any of our locations.
If you have a Library Card, you also have an Account.
To Login to Your Account:
- Click on the My Account tab in the website header or go to the Library Catalog and click on My Account
- Enter your Library Card # (the 13-digit number on the back of your card underneath the barcode)
- Enter your PIN number
- Click the Log in button
Once logged in, you can use the tabs on your account page to manage your account:
- Change your PIN and set your account preferences
- View your currently checked out items
- Renew items
- Manage your holds
- Pay your fines
Change your PIN
To change your PIN login to My Account and go to Change PIN in the Personal Information tab.
Forgot your PIN
If you don't recall your PIN, complete and submit the Forgot your PIN form.
Change your address
To change the address on your account, send us a message containing your new information or call us at 816-701-3442.