As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to wane in Kansas City and across the country, the Library is ready to welcome the public back to its physical locations.
“For more than a year, our team has been working incredibly hard to continue to provide vital services,” says Joel Jones, deputy director for library services. “I’ve been blown away by what we’ve been able to accomplish, but our staff are really excited to welcome patrons back into the Library. They miss the smiling faces of so many patrons they have not seen for far too long.”
Starting June 1, 2021, patrons will be able to access nine of 10 Kansas City Public Library locations to retrieve holds, browse the collection, access our computers, and more.
Some safety protocols will continue.
Meeting and study rooms will not yet be available. Food and drink will not be permitted. Most public programming will continue online, with indoor events returning at a later date. And masks will continue to be required* and social distancing is encouraged.
“We are proud of the services we were able to offer over the last year,” Jones said. “But we understand it hasn’t always been easy for the communities we serve to access those services.
“That’s our focus right now. Improving access to the many important services the Library provides. That means allowing people to come right in and pick up their holds without having to call or text first. That means people being able to come in and sign up to use a computer without having to call in advance. That means people being able to browse the shelves or just find a quiet spot to relax and read.”
For more information about our reopening plans or to find out what services are currently available:
Streamlining Pop In / Pick Up Holds Service
As we prepare for the June 1 reopening, we are making changes to our popular Pop In / Pick Up holds service.
Starting May 17, 2021, patrons will no longer need to call or text before entering the Library to retrieve their holds or pick up remote printing documents.
“It will work much the same way it did before the pandemic,” Jones said. “Patrons will walk in, go to the holds shelf, retrieve their books, and check them out.” In the case of remote printing, patrons will send documents to and retrieve them from Library printers.
Note: Only holds pickup will be available on a walk-in basis starting May 17. General browsing will be permitted starting June 1.
Monday, May 17
- Pop In / Pick Up holds service switches to self-serve. When your items are ready at your preferred Library location, you can go inside to pick up holds without calling or texting first. (*Trails West Branch renovations will impact holds service.)
- Hours and building access for other public services remain limited until June 1.
Tuesday, June 1
KEY SERVICE UPDATES:
- Full service hours resume at Library locations. (*Trails West Branch will be closed May 17-June 14 for carpet replacement.)
- Come inside to browse the shelves!
- Public computers available without appointments.
- Furniture has been spaced out and barriers installed to provide proper social distancing.
- Food and drink not permitted inside the Library.
RESUMING AT A LATER DATE:
- Meeting and study rooms remain closed for the time being.
- Indoor in-person public events, activities, and classes remain paused. Library programs continue to take place online.
*UPDATE - MAY 14
Following the May 13 updates to public mask use guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the City of Kansas City, Missouri, the Library has issued the following statement regarding our current mask policy.