All Interlibrary Loans will be available at Customer Service desks and will circulate for 2 weeks.
Interlibrary Loan is the borrowing and lending of materials between libraries. It provides access to materials held at libraries outside of the KCPL system. Anyone with a traditional Kansas City Public Library card in good standing may request Interlibrary Loan (or ILL) items from other libraries. eCards and Educator cards are not valid for borrowing ILL items.
Before you submit your request, please verify that we do not already provide access to the material by checking the following sites:
- Library Catalog - for all desired formats including eBooks and Digital Audiobooks from OverDrive
- Hoopla - for streaming digital Audiobooks, Music, Movies, TV, Comics, and eBooks
- Freegal - for streaming digital Music and Audiobooks
If you don't find the item that you need, locate the record in WorldCat and click "Borrow this item" on the item record to begin your transaction. You will be redirected to the Tipasa software to complete the transaction.
If you can't locate the item in WorldCat, make a request via Tipasa by giving the title, author, and as much bibliographic/citation information as possible.
The conditions of this service are set by the Interlibrary Loan Code for the United States, Copyright Law of the United States, CONTU Guidelines, and by the regulations of individual libraries. Requests for copies must comply with Section 108 of the U.S. Copyright Law.
- Items not owned by the Kansas City Public Library and its consortium members
- CDs, both musical and spoken word
- Copies of newspaper or periodical articles that the library does not own or have in its databases
- Census records and newspapers on microfilm. Note, all microfiche and microfilm must be viewed and copied at the Central Library
- Items owned by Kansas City Public Library and its consortium members
- Reference and genealogy material
- Items published within the current year
- Items older than 100 years
- Computer files
- Textbooks or classroom related items
- Items that cost more than $300 to replace should they become lost or damaged
- Materials needed in less than two weeks
Due to the high volume of requests we receive, customers are limited to 5 active requests at once. An active request is one that has not been returned to and received by the lending library.
While it is our policy not to charge our customers for ILL items, some libraries do charge to lend their materials. If this happens, you will be notified in advance of us ordering the material. Fees can range from as little as $5.00 dollars on up.
- ILL items usually arrive at the KC Public Library within 2-5 weeks of the initial request. Note: We do not process rush requests, nor can we guarantee how long it will take to receive an item.
- Upon arrival, ILL staff will place the item on hold for you and send it to your preferred pickup location. If your item is a Copy Request, it will typically be sent electronically, unless you have indicated that you prefer them to be mailed.
- You will receive a notice that your item is available for pickup at your preferred branch via our Pop In/Pick Up contact-free holds service.
- ILL items have a large, green sticker label on the front of the item, which includes the ILL Due Date, the checkout information needed by staff members, and the ILL department contact info. **DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL**
- Interlibrary loan materials may also include paperwork provided by the lending library, which may be tucked-in or paper-clipped in the item.**DO NOT REMOVE ANY PAPERWORK**
- All ILL items circulate for 2 weeks from time of check-out. Branch staff will write the due date on the green sticker label.
- If not returned by the due date, the lending library may charge a replacement fee plus a processing fee. This could range from $20-$500.
- ILL items may be subject to recall at any time by the lending library. If you receive a recall notice for an interlibrary loan item, please return it to your nearest branch immediately. We will try to locate another copy for you.
- If you wish to renew your item, please use your ILL account online, call 816.701.3463, or email to ask for a renewal. Items may be renewed only once, and overdue items may not be renewed.
- To return your ILL item, simply bring it back to any of the Kansas City Public Library branches.
Our ILL system, Tipasa, allows you 24-hour access to your ILL account. If you have a current library card, you may submit and manage your ILL requests online by logging in here:
If you lose or damage an ILL item, the replacement fee will be determined by the lending library and could be upwards of $150. ILL staff handle lost and damaged items and will work with lending libraries to determine the replacement fee.
Why do I need to have an ILL account?
The ILL software helps us process your requests and items in a quick and efficient manner. It also lets you view the status of your request and make renewal requests at any time.
How long will it take for my request to arrive?
Items are usually received and processed within 2-5 weeks. However, the time may vary depending on the availability of the item, the location of the library willing to lend the item, and the way the item is shipped. Tipasa allows you 24-hour access to your ILL account.
How will I be notified when my item is ready to be picked up?
You will be notified automatically by the method you indicated when filling out your library card application.
Where do I pick up my item?
ILL items must be picked up via our Pop In/Pick Up holds service at the pick-up location you specify.
Is there a charge for Interlibrary Loan?
While it is our policy not to charge our customers for interlibrary loans, some libraries do charge to lend their materials. If this happens, you will be notified in advance of us ordering the material.
How many requests can I submit at once?
Due to the high volume of requests we receive, we now limit customers to 5 active requests at once. An active request is one that has not been returned to and received by the lending library.
How long can I keep an item borrowed through interlibrary loan?
All ILL items circulate for 2 weeks from time of check-out.
Can I renew ILL items?
The lending library determines if they will allow renewals. We will request renewals for you. Please use your ILL account or call 816.701.3463 to ask for a renewal. Items may be renewed only once and overdue items may not be renewed.
Why do I have to leave that green sticker on the books?
The green sticker has all the information needed for staff to identify the item and to correctly check the item in and out for you. This is why it is important that you do not remove the green sticker. It also provides you with the correct due date.
What if I keep the item overdue or lose it?
Interlibrary loan depends upon the good will of other libraries. Failure to return the item on time jeopardizes our future borrowing privileges. Lending libraries charge replacement charges plus a processing fee. Replacement charges range from $20 to over $500 if the item is not currently in print.
Where do I return the material?
ILL materials may be returned in the standard book return at any Kansas City Public Library location.