Welcome back inside your Library.
Our doors are back open to the Kansas City community. We’re excited to see you.
The Kansas City Public Library’s priority during the COVID-19 pandemic has been, and remains, the health and safety of its staff and the community it serves. The Library will continue to require masks inside all physical locations as many of our patrons – including children under 12 – cannot yet receive vaccines or are part of populations lacking equal access to vaccines. The Library will continue to monitor vaccination rates in Kansas City, Missouri, and the wider metropolitan area to continually reevaluate our masking requirement.
VISITING YOUR LIBRARY
(as of June 1, 2021)
Visit kclibrary.org/locations for information on each KC Library location.
- Masks required for patrons and staff in all Library spaces.
- Location Hours: Full Regular open service hours resume at Library locations.
- Browsing and Holds: Come inside to explore our shelves pick up your holds.
- Returns: Borrowed books, DVDs, and CDs can be placed in outdoor drop boxes or indoor returns areas.
- Technology Services: Public computers are available without appointments. Patrons can use Library print, fax, and scan services. Free wireless internet is available inside and outside all locations. Internet to Go kits can be reserved and checked out.
- Library Spaces: Guests may sit, relax, and read in public areas. Furniture has been spaced out and barriers installed to provide proper social distancing. Study Spots by appointment are still available at select locations.
- Kids Café will continue as a grab-and-go service at the Library’s Bluford, Southeast, Trails West, and Waldo locations. (View schedule on our calendar)
- Food and drink not permitted inside the Library.
- Several Library services continue to be offered by appointment. Community Reference sessions, Study Spots reservations, local history research, and more are available at kclibrary.org/appointments.
- Feeling sick? Please don’t visit for now and help keep everyone healthy. We’ll see you once you’re well!
Currently Unavailable | Resuming Later
- Meeting and study rooms remain closed for now. Community Connection Rooms are available by appointment at select locations.
- Indoor in-person public events, activities, storytimes, and classes remain paused. Library programs continue to take place online or in outdoor spaces.
SAFETY AND CLEANING:
- Masks must be worn by guests age 2 and up.
- Masks must meet CDC recommendations (details at cdc.gov).
- Masks must be worn properly, fully covering both nose and mouth.
- Mask substitutes not permitted:
- Face shields alone (pairing with mask OK)
- Handkerchiefs tied around the face
- Single-layer gaiters (can use a double-layer gaiter or fold it to make two layers)
- Masks with valves (vents allow virus to escape)
- Hand sanitizer readily available in public areas.
- Protective Plexiglas shields installed in service areas.
- Computer stations arranged for physical distancing. Keyboards and tables are cleaned regularly.
- Public areas have been organized for physical distancing. High-touch areas are regularly cleaned.
- Children’s areas and toys undergo thorough regular cleaning.