Located in the heart of the commercial and residential neighborhood for which it is named, Waldo Branch Library is one of the busiest branches in the system. It serves as a community center for the area as well as a meeting place for various community organizations and neighborhood associations.
At this branch
- Computers: 17 for adults, 4 for teens, 4 for kids, 3 "express" (15-minute limit)
- Wireless: All branches have free Wi-Fi wireless Internet access
- Study Rooms:
2 rooms — accommodate 1 – 2 people
(2 hour limit; available on a first-come, first-served basis)
- Meeting Rooms: 2 rooms
Help is available on a walk-in basis, and time slots fill up quickly. Appointments can be made through AARP volunteers at the Waldo Branch on a walk-in basis only.
Mondays and Thursdays 9am-1pm
Library staff are NOT tax experts. All questions are to go through the tax service preparers at the KC AARP office at 866.389.5627
Please bring the following items:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents (Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN)
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All 1095 Forms, Health Insurance Statements Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Direct deposit and/or banking information
- Proof of daycare expenses with provider name, address and ID number
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Take advantage of a free way to complete your high school requirements. Meeting Mondays and Wednesdays. Call 816-418-7150 to register. Sponsored by the Kansas City School District
Kids and teens are often hungry after school. Come get a healthy snack at Waldo Monday through Friday. Meals provided by Harvesters. For school aged kids.
Come join the Kansas City Public Schools Parents as Teachers program for a time of interaction with your child and connection to other parents and caregivers from the community. There will be opportunities for play that support where your child is at developmentally as well as chances for interaction and friendship with other parents of young children. Parents as Teachers believes you are your child's first and most important teacher, so come ready to learn and play.
Children ages 2-5 will enjoy stories, songs, and crafts.
The Reading Education Assistance Dogs (R.E.A.D.) literacy program uses therapy animals to improve children's reading and communication skills. Join the R.E.A.D.team at the Waldo Branch on the second Saturday each month between September 2016 and April 2017 (excluding December and January) as children read the pooches some prose. Children may sign up for a 10-minute slot each Saturday. Parents must sign a release form before children will be allowed to read with a dog.
The Reading Education Assistance Dogs (R.E.A.D.) literacy program uses therapy animals to improve children's reading and communication skills. Join the R.E.A.D. team at the Waldo Branch on the second Saturday each month between February, 2017 and April, 2017 as children read the pooches some prose. Children may sign up for a 10-minute slot each Saturday. Parents must sign a release form before children will be allowed to read with a dog.
If you enjoy the literary short story, then join the Reader's Circle each Wednesday at noon to read and discuss the sometimes overlooked gems of literature.
We provide stories and activities for children 12-24 months of age.
Get help on Thursdays from 1-3 p.m. at Waldo Branch.
Drop-in, no appointment necessary.
Computers will be available or bring your own.
Tech Coaches now available to answer your questions about:
- Microsoft Word or Excel
- the internet
- formatting a resume
- online applications
- syncing your smartphone
- and so much more!
for the Kansas City Public Library
Tech Coach volunteer program
We will offer 2 sessions each month:
* 1st Tuesdays, noon-1 p.m. at Central Library Room 312
* 3rd Thursdays, 6-7 p.m. at Waldo Library Room A
(Please register to attend by completing the volunteer application here)
Through digital literacy training, the Kansas City Public Library closes the digital divide between Kansas City adults. Sometimes, library patrons need more personal assistance as they create or learn how to use an email account, format a resume, complete online applications, and so much more! Help us promote digitally connected communities, economic empowerment, and social equality by becoming a Tech Coach with the Library.
Volunteer for just 1-2 hours per week to make a difference in the life of KC adults on the wrong side of the digital divide. There are currently two service opportunities:
- One-on-One Appointment (1 hour session): Help patrons with their specific questions or goals through direct and personal assistance. Based on YOUR schedule and availability, accept digital learning appointments from patrons. The Library will provide computers and safe space for you to help patrons reach their personal digital literacy goals.
- Drop-in Computer Help (2 hour session): Answer questions in a welcoming, open computer lab environment at the Library. Just be stationed at a designated area within the Library and provide assistance on a first-come, first-serve basis. Volunteer to host one of the following weekly drop-in sessions:
Fill out the Tech Coach volunteer application form here or RSVP Wendy Pearson at 816.701.3662 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Need help with math and reading? Our tutors will help you! Free tutoring is available Mondays and Wednesdays 4:30 p.m.- 5:30 p.m.
Kids Team up for Art! Local professional artists will team up with young artists to create a work of art to be displayed at our branch. Participation is FREE!! Kids 6-12 are welcome to attend.