Doors open: 8 p.m. • Program: 8:45 p.m.
One of Saturday Night Live’s signature comedy sketches gets the big-screen treatment, following Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin as stranded cone-headed couple Beldar and Prymatt. (Spoiler: They’re not from France.) Ditching plans for world conquest, they try to blend in by moving to the suburbs and having a family, all while trying to dodge tenacious immigration agents (Michael McKean and David Spade) out to reveal their true identities.
May 17: Spaceballs (1987, PG, 1h 36 min)
June 21: Coneheads (1993, PG, 1h 28 min)
July 19: Galaxy Quest (1999, PG, 1h 42 min)
August 16: Mars Attacks (1996, PG-13, 1h 50 min)
September 20: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018, PG, 1h 57 min)
This series is part of the Library's 2019 Summer Reading Program: Dare to Discover.
Some tips and notes about how best to enjoy an evening of downtown KC skyline cinema on the Central Library's Rooftop Terrace:
- Bring your own blankets and folding chairs for seating.
- You may bring outside food and non-alcoholic beverages (no glass containers, please!)
- Doors open at 8 p.m. (Note: The Central Library closes at 5 p.m. on Fridays, but the doors reopen at 8 p.m. for Off-the-Wall audiences.)
- All movies begin at dusk (approximately 8:45 p.m.)
- In case of bad weather, screenings are moved indoors.
- Complimentary parking is available in the Library District parking garage at 10th and Baltimore. Bring your parking ticket for validation.
- Transit options: take KC Streetcar to the Library stop at 9th / Main or Ride KC buses to 10th / Main transit plaza.