The Library VISTA Project
The Kansas City Public Library has been granted the opportunity by AmeriCorps to serve as an intermediary sponsor—The Library VISTA Project. As an intermediary, the Library partners with local organizations serving as AmeriCorps member host sites. AmeriCorps members provide a year of service, bringing their passion and perseverance where the need is greatest: to organizations that help eradicate poverty. Library VISTA Project members serve in a professional setting building partnerships, raising awareness, writing grants, organizing volunteers, and more.
Questions about the Library VISTA Project? Send us an email.
Become an AmeriCorps Member
AmeriCorps members are catalysts for change, working to advance local solutions to poverty across the Kansas City metro. Make a difference in the Kansas City community by becoming an AmeriCorps member and help local nonprofit organizations and public agencies build their capacity to combat poverty. As an AmeriCorps member, you will provide a year of service while earning a modest living allowance. Click here for frequently asked questions about AmeriCorps.
Benefits of AmeriCorps VISTA
- Living Allowance - A modest living allowance of $575.40 every two weeks to cover basic expenses.
- End of Service Award – Choose between a Segal Education Award of $6,345 to pay for a range of education experiences or a cash stipend of $1,800.
- Healthcare Benefit – Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included. This is NOT health insurance.
- Professional Development Training - Attend in-person and virtual professional development opportunities throughout the year.
- Child Care Assistance – You may be eligible if you have children under the age of 13.
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) – NCE is a unique hiring path with makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you.
- Click here for more information about AmeriCorps VISTA benefits.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Pass a national service criminal history check.
- Hold one of the following statuses: US Citizen, LPR, refugee, asylee, DACA, or TPS.
Apply to be an AmeriCorps VISTA
- Create a profile on my.americorps.gov.
- Search for AmeriCorps VISTA opportunities. (You’ll find links to current Library VISTA Project opportunities on the right side of this page).
- Submit application for VISTA opportunities you’re interested in.
Hosting an AmeriCorps member with the Library VISTA Project
AmeriCorps VISTA members serve for one year to build the capacity of nonprofit and public organizations to alleviate poverty. Importantly, AmeriCorps VISTA members do not do direct service such as teaching, case management, manual labor, etc. Rather, they build capacity through volunteer management, communication, outreach, research, and more. Hosting an AmeriCorps member through the Library VISTA Project allows community partners to recruit and host a member - or members - with a smaller administrative burden. The Library VISTA Project Team is responsible for the overall reporting and compliance, while the day-to-day supervision is conducted by the host site. Additionally, members serve for 32 hours per week at their nonprofits while receiving a living stipend. The cost to host an AmeriCorps member through the Library VISTA Project is $3500 per VISTA member per year.
Host Site Qualifications
- Organizations must be a 501(c)3 or public institution.
- Organizations must focus in part or in full on alleviating poverty.
- NOTE: This is a broad definition of poverty. For example, most of the AmeriCorps VISTA members at the Library focus on information poverty and lack of access to quality services.
- Organizations must be able to pay $3500 plus gas mileage reimbursement for service-related travel.
- Organizations must be able to provide sufficient supervision, including weekly check-ins, and quarterly reporting per the Library VISTA Project MOU.
- Organizations must have permanent offices and ability to provide necessary technology and workspace. During COVID-19, AmeriCorps members may teleserve (i.e. work remotely).
Send us an email if your organization is interested in hosting an AmeriCorps member through the Library VISTA Project.