Interlibrary Loan for Individuals
Contact Interlibrary Loan
Kansas City Public Library | 14 West 10th Street | Kansas City, MO 64105
Email Us | Phone: 816.701.3463
Mon - Fri: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. | Sat - Sun: Closed
Making a Request
Before your submit your request, please verify that we do not already provide access to the material by checking the following sites:
- Library Catalog - for Books, eBooks, Audiobooks, DVDs and Music CDs
- Hoopla - for Audiobooks, Music, Movies, TV, Comics, and eBooks
- Freegal - for Music
- If you don't find the item that you need, locate the record in WorldCat and click "Borrow this item" on the item record to begin your transaction. You will be redirected to the ILLiad software to complete the transaction
- If you can't locate the item in WorldCat, make a request via ILLiad with the title, author, and any other publication information you can provide.
- Materials not owned by the Kansas City Public Library and its consortium members
- Books, videos, CDs, both musical and spoken word, and audiocassettes
- Census records and newspapers on microfilm. Note, all microfiche and microfilm must be viewed and copied at the Central Library
- Photocopies of newspaper or periodical articles that the library does not own or have in its databases
- Reference and genealogy material
- Items published within the current year
- Items owned by Kansas City Public Library and its consortium members
- Items older than 100 years
- Computer files
- Textbooks or classroom related items
- Materials needed in less than two weeks
Why do I need to have an Interlibrary Loan account?
The Interlibrary Loan software helps us process your requests and items in a quick and efficient manner. It also lets you view the status of your request and make renewal requests at any time.
How long will it take for my request to arrive?
Items are usually received and processed within 2-5 weeks. However, the time may vary depending on the availability of the item, the location of the library willing to lend the item, and the way the item is shipped. ILLiad allows you 24 hour access to your interlibrary loan account.
How will I be notified when my item is ready to be picked up?
You will be notified automatically by the method you indicated when filling out your library card application.
Where do I pick up my item?
Interlibrary loan items must be picked up at the main information desk at the pick up location you specify. They are not available on the regular Holds shelf.
Is there a charge for Interlibrary Loan?
While it is our policy not to charge our customers for interlibrary loans, some libraries do charge to lend their materials. If this happens, you will be notified in advance of us ordering the material.
How many requests can I submit at once?
Due to the high volume of requests we receive, we now limit customers to 5 active requests at once. An active request is one that has not been returned to and received by the lending library.
How long can I keep an item borrowed through interlibrary loan?
The lending library sets the due date. Some give three weeks, while others may only allow 2 weeks.
Can I renew Interlibrary Loan items?
The lending library determines if they will allow renewals. We will request renewals for you. Please use your ILL account or call 701-3463 to ask for a renewal. Items may be renewed only once and overdue items may not be renewed.
What happens when the date on the green band doesn’t match the date the circulation staff gives me?
Some times circulation staff may miss the date located on the green band, if this happens, please use the date on the green band and call the interlibrary loan department for a correction.
Why do I have to leave that green band on the books?
The green band has all the information needed for staff to identify the item and to correctly check the item in and out for you. This is why it is important that you do not remove the green band. It also provides you with the correct due date.
How long may I keep the material?
Each lending library has its own loan period and renewal policy. Loan periods may range from 1-3 weeks. We must abide by the loan period and any restrictions the loaning library places on the item. Any item borrowed through interlibrary loan is subject to recall by the lending library.
What if I keep the item overdue or lose it?
Interlibrary loan depends upon the good will of other libraries. Failure to return the item on time jeopardizes our future borrowing privileges. Lending libraries charge replacement charges plus a processing fee. Replacement charges range from $20 to over five hundred dollars if the item is not currently in print.
Where do I return the material?
Interlibrary loan material may be returned in the standard book return at any Kansas City Public Library location.