Little Shop of Horrors (1986)
Doors open: 8 pm • Program: 8:45 pm
Sad-sack Seymour (Rick Moranis) works at Mushnik’s, a Skid Row flower shop, crooning and crushing on his coworker Audrey (Ellen Greene), girlfriend to a dastardly dentist (Steve Martin). While shopping during a solar eclipse, Seymour picks up a mysterious plant. He names it “Audrey II,” and soon discovers it has a... unique appetite. As the greenery -- and business at the flower shop -- grows, the hungry plant begins singing for a more substantial supper.
This year the Library’s FREE Off-the Wall rooftop summer film series includes an eccentric playlist of comedies with song-centric storylines. Music-filled movies feature prep-school rockers, gangsta rappers, collegiate a cappella competitors, a young couple scouring the city for an elusive band, and a golden-throated carnivorous plant.
MAY 18: School of Rock (2003, 1 h 49 m, PG-13)
JUNE 15: CB4 (1993, 1 h 29 m, R)
JULY 20: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008, 1 h 30 m, PG-13)
AUGUST 17: Little Shop of Horrors (1986, 1 h 43 m, PG-13)
SEPTEMBER 21: Pitch Perfect (2012, 1 h 52 m, PG-13)
Some tips and notes about how best to enjoy an evening of downtown KC skyline cinema on the Central Library's Rooftop Terrace:
- Bring your own blankets and folding chairs for seating.
- Enjoy complimentary popcorn provided by the Friends of the Library. Sample some locally brewed ales and lagers courtesy of KC Bier Co.
- You may bring outside food and non-alcoholic beverages (no glass containers, please!)
- Doors open at 8 p.m. (Note: The Central Library closes at 5 p.m. on Fridays, but the doors reopen at 8 p.m. for Off-the-Wall audiences.)
All movies begin at dusk (approximately 8:45 p.m.) In case of bad weather, screenings are moved indoors.
- Complimentary parking is available in the Library District parking garage at 10th and Baltimore. Bring your parking ticket for validation.
- Transit options: take KC Streetcar to the Library stop at 9th / Main or Ride KC buses to 10th / Main transit plaza.
Co-presented by the Young Friends of the Library.