This print depicts the Lewis and Clark Expedition heading out on their journey west. There are three boats in view with the foremost occupied by Lewis and Clark themselves. They stand beneath a canopy pointing downriver while a crew of men powers the boat in that direction by rowing. Flags from the Early American colonies hang from each boat. The painting was originally titled "The Departure from the Wood River Encampment" an event that occurred on May 14th, 1804. Gary R. Lucy is a Missouri artist whose work focuses on historical themes and the realistic depiction of local wildlife.
Alexander Harrison was an expatriate American painter who favored marine scenes of leisure and work life. He includes both in this painting of a young fisherman taking a break from the work that supplied the catch of fish at his feet. He leans against the wall behind him and hangs with one hand from a loop screw above in order to create a headrest with his arm. He appears dazed with eyes wide but focusing on nothing in particular. He balances a circular fishing device between his feet, one of which he's pulled out of his shoe to reveal a tattered sock.
In this silver gelatin print legendary shortstop Honus Wagner better known as "The Flying Dutchman" is the focal point. He is featured with outfielder Fred Clarke over home plate at a practice session in Hot Springs, Arkansas for a one time training camp of the Pittsburgh Pirates. George Gibson is the catcher. The following text, "The Carnegie Museum of Art" is centered at the top of the of the poster. Additional text below the black and white photograph cites, "The Flying Dutchman, Honus Wagner, Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop, Hot Springs Arkansas 1908."
George Caleb Bingham was a Missouri artist active throughout the 19th century and is known for his genre paintings which depicted life on the American frontier, and particularly along the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. This painting was the first of three with the same name completed by Bingham, each with a similar composition and subject matter. Here, a group of men sits atop a flatboat, the central most figure dances and is flanked by two other figures playing instruments while the other men lounge and observe.
"The Kansas City Connection" is an artist proof print and is numbered 25/50. "The Kansas City Connection" highlights major Kansas City figures including founding fathers, artists, architects, artworks, fountains, buildings, personalities, generals, and architectural elements. The well planned artistic composition provides a naturalistic grouping of the many different elements of Kansas City culture.
A black and white reproduction of a nineteenth century historic map of the Kansas City Stockyards, by C.F. Morse. The original work was published by L. H. Everts and Co. in 1887, for the Kansas State Atlas. Additional text on the piece includes "KANSAS CITY STOCK YARDS, KANSAS CITY, KANSAS, C.F. MORSE GENERAL MANAGER, H.P. CHILD SUPT, E.E. RICHARDSON TREAS & SEC."
Arcimboldo utlized objects in his assemblage portraits that typically held some connection to the person's life. Art historian Sven Alfons was the first to conclude The Librarian was an eccentric depiction of Wolfgang Lazius, a humanist and historian who served Holy Roman Emperors of the House of Hapsburg.
In this painting, the viewer sees a man facing to the left and comprised wholly of books seemingly arranged haphazardly.
A color lithograph advertising the National Agricultural Exposition held in Kansas City in 1887. This print celebrates the dedication and opening of an Industrial Building in the style of the Crystal Palace order. The Exposition Building is featured center with a thoroughfare depicting the traffic of horse drawn carriages, a trolley car and pedestrians strolling. To the left adjacent the other figures that are depicted include a locomotive engine, numbered 75, and the four muses of agriculture, art, literature and science.
An original promotional poster for the Priests of Pallas Masquerade Ball held on October 14th, 2005 at the Kansas City Union Station. The middle left of the print portrays an image of Minerva the Roman goddess of wisdom, strategic warfare, sponsor of arts, trade, and strategy. Surrounding the head of Minerva are descriptive text "MINERVA" and "ROMANA" that identify the persona of the figure. Below Minerva is an owl, a symbol associated with this Goddess to represent knowledge, wisdom, perspicacity and erudition.
Claude Monet was the founder of the French Impressionist movement which sought to express one's perception of nature through essence and the effect of light on forms. He often painted the same scene multiple times as it endured the effects of light differing over the course of a day. In this painting, he captured three figures lounging under a canopy of large lilac bushes. As their forms recess into the shadows cast beneath the bushes, their flowers project into a dense cloud of foliage across the painting.
Thomas Hart Benton was at the forefront of the Regionalist art movement. His paintings portrayed a fluid motion to both landscape and sculpted figures, capturing every day scenes in his North American visual narratives. Benton was born on 1889 in Neosho, Missouri, and spent much of his adolescence in this state. These Midwestern roots can be seen strongly within the context of his work. Benton studied both within the United States, attending The School of The Art Institute of Chicago, and later he traveled abroad to France, studying at the Académie Julian in Paris.
In this map, Uncle Sam stands atop a platform shining his searchlight onto the Kansas City, Pittsburg, and Gulf Railroad referred to in shorthand here as "The Port Arthur Route." A didactic in the lower right hand corner explains that while Uncle Sam was looking for the Schomburgk Line like in Venezuela, he discovered the (literal) fruits of his own domain, namely the "The Promised Land" region of North America between the blizzards of the north and the swampy heat of the south.
Kansas City's Union Station was built in 1914 as a product of the City Beautiful movement, an urban planning initiative in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to introduce grandeur to cityscapes. The new structure would replace the original Union Depot in the West Bottoms and be moved out of the floodplain and closer to the city's metropolitan center near Main Street and Pershing Road along the Kansas City Terminal Railway.
The following , from The Collectors Guild LTD, provides detailed information regarding the artist Pierre Henry. Pierre Henry, born 1924 , was the son of a baker of Rue St. Denis. Henry though he studied at the school of Beau Arts, is a self-taught painter. During trips to Italy, his slow researching led him to define his style which is a far away reflection of his revered masters: Piero della Francesca, and Pisanello. Winner of the Prix de la Jeune Peinture in 1955, Pierre Henry was encouraged in the beginning by artist Gertrude Stein.
Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot inherited property from his parents at Ville-d'Avray and created many paintings with a large pond on the property as the subject (-metmuseum.org). In this particular work, two village people stand in the foreground amongst a haze of tall grasses. The grasses fade into the calm waters of the pond that reflect the buildings along the horizon line. The overall tone is cool and muted, but the brightness of white in the painting and highlighted leaves in the trees suggest the sun might've been shining through a thin layer of clouds.
Louis Le Breton specialized in marine paintings which he created while working for the French Navy. This particular work depicts a view of ships arriving in the New York harbor from a transatlantic voyage. The foremost and largest ship dons a French flag and American flag. Other watercrafts head in various directions, leaving planes of colliding choppy wakes behind them. The city rests on the horizon beneath what must have been the gray sky of an overcast day. The ultra-precise details achieved through the etching process create a haze of mast ropes and building spires on the horizon.
This print is a commemorative "Thank You Walt Disney, Inc." product with the original piece by Phil Starke. The print incorporates a collage of drawings and paintings by Disney from his late teens and early twenties. In the lower left corner of the print, Disney is shown seated in the back of a car without his famous mustache. He and his crew can be seen advertising his Laugh-O-Grams features which were to be shown at the Isis Theater. Above this area is a depiction of Disney seated at a drawing board. The center of the piece highlights a portrait of Disney.
In this drawing the architect W.C. Root renders a warehouse for W.J. Smith, ESQ in a popular style with architects at the time. The first floor of the building has large windows in threes punctuated with entry doors. The windows continue in pairs to the second and third stories with layered trapezoidal keystones over each. The fourth-floor windows break the pattern with a series of lunette-shaped archways over each window series. The windows get smaller with the subsequent fifth and sixth floors, quickening the pace of the windows with each.
George Wright was a British painter of coaching and hunting scenes. He was the elder brother of Gilbert Scott Wright. Mainly a self taught artist, although it is thought he worked with his younger brother until 1925. During that time their combined work was frequently reproduced on calendars. Wright lived for some time in Rugby and Oxford before moving to Richmond in Surrey in 1929 and later he chose to retire to Seaford in Sussex, where he remained until his death in 1942.
This print depicts the Westport Library in full swing as it is surrounded by burgeoning foliage and bustling patrons presumed to enjoy the library's space and resources. The sun illuminates the building's stone and shingle architecture that is reminiscent of the trees flanking it, indicating a natural harmony between the building and its environment. The artist's use of light achieves a vibrancy and livelihood of atmosphere that reads like a testament to the institution's service to society.